Shadows Of The Past

They say time heals everything but some things leave a dent so deep that nothing has the ability to fix it or return it to its previous state. Some things hurt too much, a pain that leaves your heart aching for the rest of your life. Although we try, some memories do not leave us, they haunt us, every now and then if not all the time. Little things that flash memories of a lifetime before our eyes.

Despite how busy she keeps herself with her life, shadows of the past never stop following her. Her name is Aryana, a simple, straightforward lady who in the publics' eye has her life together but nobody knows of the battle she fights in her head, her heart, every day of her life, always leaving her exhausted.

The reason why Aryana's heart is untamed goes back to ten years, when she was at the age of fifteen - the year for which she would give up her whole life to change. Very young she was, indeed, but life is unforgiving; regardless of who you are, it will throw obstacles at you, challenge you and most importantly, hurt you.

It was too weeks since Aryana's anxious breakdown. The firm was closed today, everyone was off work so she decided to meet up with the only friend with whom she was still in contact with from her school years, Lisa. She drove to her house which took almost an hour and a half but it was worth it. After parking, she rang the doorbell and waited patiently. Michael, Lisa's toddler opened the door and a smile grew on Aryana's face.

They spoke for a while since it had been long since they had seen one another; they spoke of work, holidays and other things, both of them being careful not to make a reference about the past. After much discussion and conversation, they ate a rather filling and comforting meal, lasagne, Aryana's favourite meal.

It was five in the evening and the colour of the sky had transitioned from a deep orange to a deep blue and the wind was howling. The air inside was warm and cosy, both Aryana and Lisa were sitting on the sofa, along with Michael, watching television and snacking on crisps and chocolate. Suddenly, the urge to ask certain questions arose within Aryana. She tried taking her mind off of it but was unable to.

"

November 2005

'Your false promises,

Your burning dreams,

Your heartless wishes,

I'll hate them all,

Until I breathe this life.'

"Aryanna!" shouted Haily.

"What?" replied Aryanna, unaware of how loud she sounded.

"Take your headphones off!" insisted Haily.

"Oh right, sorry." Aryanna apologized whilst taking off her headphones.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Look, 'Joke' is there" replied Haily.

A year ago, in an afterschool club that they went to, Haily and Aryanna saw a boy from their school's college studying and they both found him attractive. At that time they thought it was just a joke for which reason they named this stranger 'Joke'. Onwards, they stalked him; they would follow him if they saw him anywhere, giggle when he passed by them and shout out random names in the hope to find out his real name.

"Oh my gosh, where?" questioned Aryanna, looking around.

"There, look!" replied Haily.

"Oh yeah, I can see. He's so cute!" 

"I know right" said Haily, agreeing with her.

Like this they carried on, for another year.