It'll Be Okay

Sad one today BECAUSE I'M FUCKING SAD

It's been a few days since your beloved pet bird died. Of course, you're still not over it.

"Hey." Your girlfriend, Demi, comes into the room. You look up from your bed and meet her eyes. She looks concerned. With good reason—you haven't left your room in days.
"Hey," you respond, your voice hoarse from crying.
"You doing okay? Want something to eat? Drink?" she asks, and you shake your head.
"I'm fine. Thanks," you respond, letting your head fall back onto your pillow.
You hear her sigh, and she comes over to your side. She sits down on the bed, and it dips slightly with her weight.
She moves her hand to your face, gently touching your cheek.
"I'm sorry, baby," she whispers, and you close your eyes. "I know you're hurting, but you have to eat."
"I'm not hungry," you respond, closing your eyes tighter as if that will crush the deep feeling of sadness inside you.
"She would want you to be happy," Demi says. "I want you to be happy. It's okay to grieve, but you can't drag it out like this. Grieve while taking care of yourself."
"I don't want to," you say stubbornly, and she sighs.
She leans in before gently pressing her lips to your forehead. You open your eyes as her familiar scent floods your nose. Demi always smells nice. Like flowers and sunshine. It calms you.
"Come here," she says, opening her arms. You look to her, and after moment of deliberation, you move.
You go over to her, and she pulls you into her arms. You bury your face in her shoulder, and she rubs your back soothingly.
"It's going to be okay," she whispers, putting her hand on the back of your head.
"I miss her," you mumble, and she hums in response.
"I know you do."
You pull away to look at her. Her brown eyes search your face, and she leans in. She presses her lips to yours gently, and you put your hands on her face. You love her so much.
"She'll always be with you," she whispers. "In your heart."
"I know," you reply softly, letting your forehead rest against hers.
You sit there in silence for a while, just letting yourself breathe and enjoy the company of your girlfriend.
"I love you," she says after a moment. "I hate seeing you like this. Let's go get something to eat."
You look up and meet her eyes. She smiles slightly, and somehow, you feel lighter. Like you've been able to let go.
You smile for the first time in days. "I love you, too. Let's go."

A/N
my birdo died and it's horrible
but writing makes me feel better
Pets are amazing but it really sucks when they're sick or they die. It's like a piece of you leaves with them