The Chase

"You can do this".

From afar, I watched Cole as he was standing in the crowd — with Carlisle and his two other siblings beside him. He showed up with a set of red, puffy eyes though, and for a second, I was debating whether or not I should just killed everybody and run away together with him so I could just end this misery. It's already torturing enough when I could only lay my eyes on him like this anyway, and added up with the fact that I was going to gamble my life away later was making me dying.

I then quickly looked away from the crowd when my eyes turned glassy.

"Okay, first of all..." my father suddenly spoke out. His voice was loud and firm — everybody was paying their attention to him now. As for me, however, I didn't even have any heart to look at him, so I just stared down silently at my feet. "...the important rule for his test is...Kyle is not allowed to shift in his wolf's form..." he said, and my eyes turned wide when I heard that. However, completely different than my reaction, as if they were in a festival, the crowd were cheering so loud. I glanced up at Cole — tears flowing down his cheeks now — as he looked at me sadly.

"C—can you at least let him to take the test in his wolf's form, p—please?" I heard Cole said when everybody finally calm down. For sure though, he received a few 'boos' from the crowd, telling him to just shut up and stuff. I clenched my jaw in anger when they treated him like that though, and when some of them had finally noticed my bitter expression; they all turned quiet. "...i—it's dangerous".

My father then sighed softly.

"I can't let him do that, son..." he replied sternly. "...plus, if he has a physical that is strong enough to torture and beat you every single day; an emotion that is hard enough to ignore your pleas whilst he beat you up and having a mentality that is brutal enough to cause a death of your baby — then I'm pretty certain that he can overcome this test. He's not in his wolf's form when he done those things to you, right?".

Cole was silent. He bitted his bottom lip and he looked down on the ground — acting really fidgety.

"...he isn't, right son?" my father repeated.

I watched Cole as he slowly nodded, tears kept wetting his cheeks like waterfall. My father's words, were hitting me right in the feels anyway, and when I rethink everything back — no amount of punishment that was well deserved enough for my mistakes. I made Cole suffered when the only thing he wanted was a little bit of love and yet, I replaced it with something which was the complete opposite.

"...right. Then it's an agreement..." my father finally said before he shifted back to his original topic. I'd saw that Carlisle then gently pulled Cole away who was now crying even harder — completely vanished into the sea of people like a shadow in the dark. I sighed sadly. "...anyway, for the ending point of the test, it will be marked by Cole himself — your mate. Our guards would keep him companies for as long as the test was running with Cole's mouth covered and hands tied together to make sure he wasn't making any noise or moves that could somehow lead your way to him (telepathy doesn't work when they were in their human forms by the way), and only be released when he is taking his meals and drink. No cheating, or else this test would be a foul. Understood?".

I nodded lightly.

"Yes, sir".

"Great. Now we can start the test..." he ended before he walked away as the guards started to drag me away to the starting point of the test.

~ x~

Three days. It had been almost three days now since I walked cluelessly around the jungle without having a single hint where the ending point probably was. Pretty sure too though, I had met a few creatures that tried to kill me, and thankfully, none of them was powerful enough to drag me down just yet.

The fairy fox — he completely stole my food. The elf — he had changed my perspective and now I was lost somewhere in the darker side of the jungle. The fairy — she fooled me around by making humanly noises, putting fake hopes on me by making me thought that I'd found the ending point. And the dwarf....I didn't want to talk about him actually. He was indeed, the worst. I almost got killed when he lured me into a huge hole filled with poisonous snakes and scorpions, which, I'm thankful enough that I was later distracted by a pretty golden deer running around. I didn't follow it anyway.

~ x ~

Exactly before sunset. I was wandering around with an apple in my hand when I suddenly heard someone shouting. I knew I shouldn't listen anyway, but I did. Why? Because it sound like Cole's voice. The voice kept screaming and crying as loud as it could — my heart was pounding in my chest as I curiously followed the sound. My wolf anyway, it kept howling. It sounded alarming, but somehow, somewhere deep inside my mind — there was a small voice that kept telling me that this probably was the end.

Probably.

"Hey!" I eagerly shouted back. Nobody was responding this time though, but after a few minutes of silence, the voice came back. This time, it kept yelling out my name, asking for a help as I ran around — the voice was getting closer. I was getting more and more excited that it was making me almost felt out of my breath due to the overpowering excitement. I grinned like a maniac even — the sound of the birds happily chirping were getting louder and louder — as if it was a pure sign telling me that I was indeed closer to my ending point. I was indeed closer. I am.

Few minutes later, when I reached a certain area where the jungle looked the freshest — I stopped.

"...Cole?" I called out. I looked around, and when I saw there were three figures standing near some shady trees — my eyes brightened. And again, my wolf didn't seem excited. But I ignored it anyway as I walked eagerly towards the figures — one with blond hairs — who were facing me with their backs. "...Cole?" I called out again. I was about to touch him by his shoulder when I'd suddenly noticed a very old, ugly, grey-haired woman in a dark robe passed by right in front of me — strong sharp fragrance was attacking my sense of smell before she vanished right into the thin air like dust.

I shivered and confused at the same time, and it was then, when the blond who stood completely frozen in front had finally turned around to face me — I'd realized that this wasn't Cole. She had a huge sneer on her face, my pounding heart almost dropping down on the ground and my stomach was churning upon finding who it really was as I hastily stepped backwards.

"Well hello there, Kyle..." she smirked — the urge to punch her right in the face was burning inside of me. "...welcome back".

p/s: the old woman is a witch. She tricked Kyle's mind and instinct by using her dark magic