Berries, Meat and Small Argument

When the sun had finally set, I'd decided maybe it was already time for us to go back to our...well, nonexisted hut which was still under our proper plan. Of course, it wouldn't be big. But I would try my best to make sure it was comfortable and strong enough for the both of us to stay in whilst we were here --- up on top of the hill --- until we'd decided to leave someday when we'd finally got the result like we wanted.

"We should start collecting the materials to build our hut tomorrow..." I said. Cole was walking behind me as I lead our way at the front; his hand would immediately grasp my elbow once in a while whenever we'd stumbled on the rocky, uneven path. Then, slowing my pace down to keep in rhythm with his, I added; "...I'll build the frame with some woods first, then we'll use some leaves for the roof and some dried bamboos for the wall and floor. But, don't you worry. I'll take care of everything else. The only thing you have to do is collecting the leaves..." I said; which then he responded by stopping his pace all of a sudden.

He looked at me --- confused.

"A-are you sure?" he asked.

"Yeah, why?" I replied with a small chuckle.

Massaging the back of his neck lightly, he then said, in a slightly tiny voice; "A-are you sure you just want me to do that? You know, collecting the leaves?".

Then, it suddenly hit me. I'd used to treat him like a slave before; forcing him to do things where I knew he would never get to do alone, beating him when he failed to accomplish the tasks I'd gave and pushing him to his limit. And when he heard something as considering from my mouth just now --- he didn't believe it. He asked me as if he was unsure, confused, suspicious...and his face was obviously shown that he was completely doubting me. Like, he didn't believe that this was the Kyle who had mistreated him before. Like, he didn't believe that this was the Kyle who wanted to treat him like a fragile prince now. Like, he didn't believe that I had changed...for him and for the both of us.

I then smiled softly. I honestly wanted to touch his cheek and assured him that I was really serious --- that I would never treat him like I'd used to treat him before. I wanted him to know that but, I knew words would never be enough. I need to show him the drastic changes I had done just for him and made sure that he knew that he's the only person I'd ever cared about until the day I die.

"I'm sure, Cole..." I said. I watched him as he looked deeply into my eyes with a small smile now gracefully attached on his pink lips.

"Thanks".

"Anyway..." I began. I wrapped my hand around his thin shoulder as we walked our ways together. "...what do you want for dinner?" I asked.

He shrugged lightly.

"I don't know..." he said. He pressed his lips into a thin line as he briefly glanced at me. "...fruits, perhaps?".

"What kind of fruits?".

"Anything".

Then, giving his shoulder a light squeeze, I replied; "Come on. Just tell me". Because for some reason, there was many types of fruits in the forest. He should tell me specifically.

"Preferably, berries..." he answered.

And I nodded lightly. "Okay. Berries it is. Let's go".

~ ♥ ~

Cole was eagerly eating the berries whilst I was sitting by the fire; dismembering some dead squirrels I'd hunted in the forest few minutes ago, then cleaned and got them skewered before I put them on the fire. It tasted nice though, but Cole didn't seem interested at all with the meal I'd prepared.

"Are you going to eat only those?" I asked, referring to the berries. I knew they were sugary, full of vitamins and all but, he still needed some source of protein to stay full anyway. "...because you know, I've got enough meat for the both of us. You can have some".

"Sure?" he asked, looking hesitated.

I chuckled.

"Yeah, of course..." I said. It's my first time to offer him something that I'd got with my own claws and fangs by the way, which was a bit unusual for the both of us. "...you can have like, half of them. I don't mind".

Eyeing the squirrels, he then replied, with a small giggle; "You got twelve. I wouldn't eat half of them. Six are too much for me though".

"Five?" I offered.

He then responded by shaking his head lightly.

"...four and a half?" I offered again. Because for sure, eating only four squirrels for dinner wouldn't be enough for me. Plus, these rodents were small as hell. They were only as big as half of my palm.

"I--I'll eat two..." he said.

Frowning, I replied; "Three and a half".

"Too much..." he muttered out. I stared at his skinny body and silently nodded. Sure, it's not a surprise. But---.

"How 'bout three?".

"I don't eat that much".

"Yeah, I know. But consider it as a gift. You know, like those offers at the stores in the city. Buy two for one free..." I said, smiling happily when he chuckled. It's a lame joke I knew but, at least he'd responded positively. Or else, I'd just made everything seemed awkward. "...come on".

"I seriously don't eat much..." he said.

"Please..." I pleaded.

"It will be a waste. I don't want that..." he responded as he looked at me whilst I was checking the squirrels. Few of them were already slightly cooked, and I swallowed my saliva; my stomach was growling loudly now. "...I'll just eat two. Or maybe one. I'm already full..." he added; his hand lightly patted his stomach. "...the berries got me".

"Uh-huh".

"Really".

"Fine..." I finally said. He smiled small at me, seemingly happy that he had win in our small argument. "...two and a half".

His smile felt.

"No".

"It's not much, I swear..." I said. Holding up one of the squirrel, I added; "...see. It's tiny".

He nibbled the inside of his cheek as he stared at the rodent. From my clear observation, he looked like he was reconsidering my offer though.

"Fine. Two and a half..." he agreed finally. He let out a small sigh as he glanced at the squirrels. "...but, I'll take a few hours to finish them..." he paused. "...will you stay with me?".

Smiling in victory, I then replied; "Okay. I'll be really glad". And, despite I knew it was only a small matter, I knew Cole would appreciate it somehow.