Run Away

I opened my eyes only to notice that I was in a really dark and cold place. Perhaps, I already had been buried six feet under. But when I heard a sound of a howling wild owls and strong smell of leaves and trees, I knew I was somewhere deep in the jungle. Yet, albeit I basically had been spending my whole life hunting and lingering around the forest, this place, however, felt a little bit out of a place. It felt strange.

I didn't know how long I had been sleeping though. It's felt like yesterday since...hell, I didn't even want to say his name anymore. I touched my aching muscles, my gradually healing wounds and...

My baby.

"Hey..." I whispered softly as I dragged my fingertips gently on my own stomach. I didn't know what had happened though, and without knowing, there was a drop of tear rolling down my cheeks. I didn't even know where the fuck I am right now, or how long I had been here; let alone the fact that I didn't even know whether my baby was safe or not. Yet, despite of that night's tragedy, I'm still hoping nonetheless. "...how are you, baby?".

I was greeted back with a complete silence.

"...hey..." I tried again, but now already sobbing. I covered my mouth with my hand when a chocked breath came out--the sound of the howling owls was my only friend. I badly needed a comfort; someone to tell me that my baby would be just fine. I needed it. I really needed it. I rubbed my stomach in a soothing manner...for a few seconds, until suddenly there was small kick in my stomach.

I smiled.

"I'm here, baby. You'll be just fine".

~x~

I woke up, perhaps later at midnight. The sky looked really dark, and when I looked around the eerily quiet forest, I'd noticed that from afar, there was a small group of people with torches and lights coming from distance as they were shouting for a particular name.

"Colleen!" a female called out.

Then, as I narrowed my eyes to get a closer look at a familiar big black wolf which was walking far ahead of the group, my breath became erratic.

"Colleen, where are you?!" said a male. He kept shouting and shouting, but my only attention was at the wolf before me.

I remembered how he used all of his energy to hurt me, to turn me into a crying mess, to make me shed tears of agony. I remembered what he had said to me that night, or the way he made me felt so bad about myself and made me helpless. And for an obvious reason, I am scared.

I hastily scooted backwards as I tried to catch my breath every time I moved--slowly and softly--just to make sure it wouldn't be heard.

"Colleen!".

Beads of cold sweat felt down from my forehead and I was trembling. I knew I had to escape. I knew I had to shift into my wolf form and run as fast as I could. But, transforming into a wolf would, however, made me easy to be tracked due to the telepathy I'd--unfortunately--shared with Kyle since he was my mate.

Kyle sniffed. His breath was loud--even though I was sitting for almost twenty meters away from where he was standing. He moved around, running closer towards my place as those people I didn't recognize yet had long been left behind.

For a few more second, I looked at him as I scooted further more backwards. The sound of broken twigs and dried leaves once in a while made me paused, but I still tried to escape nonetheless.

"Colleen!".

My breath hitched in my throat when suddenly, a thorny flower prickled into my palm. I let out a loud hiss, only to realize my mistake when suddenly, Kyle let out a long, loud howl.

I panic, and so I quickly stood up and ran away.

I heard people running after me behind. I didn't know who they were, but I am too nervous to look behind. My only mission was to save mine and my baby's life, and of course, to get away from Kyle's grip. I had to make sure that he wouldn't hurt me again. Hell. I didn't even want to see him again, let alone finding me and to let him dragging me back in that ugly and disgusting empire of his. I didn't even want to call him my mate. Never again. The scars and wounds he had left on me made me traumatized, and I would never look back at the misery he had put me into.

My legs were shaking as I forced myself to run.

"Cole, come back!".

No.

Tears staining my cheeks. My hands were shaking. My head was pounding. I didn't know how long I had been running, or how far I had gone. But when I finally turned around to check at them, it was empty.

I let out a heavy breath as I leaned my hand against a huge tree trunk. They should have gone, right? Probably, but the realization of someone suddenly tapping my shoulder confirmed that I wasn't alone. Panic, I instantly turned around.

Slender, pointy ears and pale face. He had a smile of a mischievous five years old boy, and when he looked into my eyes, I felt hypnotized. Those orbs were so beautiful.

"Who are you?" I heard he asked. "...my names Kax. I'm a fox fairy..." he then added with a cheeky grin. "...I like your face and your hair by the way. They look so cute".

When I was much younger, I remembered my mother used to tell me a story about this guy. He was mischievous, like, really mischievous. He liked to steal things, eating people's fruits, and often times, he would also hid people he had found in the forest--the reason why some of them never get back home. As a young kid, of course I am scared just by listening to his tale. But now when I was standing face to face with him, I thought that he was just really adorable.

I smiled.

"My name's Cole..." I finally said. But, even before I could continue, I saw hints of lights from afar.

"Cole, where are you?!".

Crap.

Kax then swiftly glanced behind.

"Who are they?" he asked with a childish tone as he swayed his body from side to side. "...are you try to run from them? Are they bad people? What they're going to--".

I'm desperate. From the sound of it, they were getting closer.

"Look, can you help me to hide?".

"Anything..." he then shortly answered with a small shrug. "...follow me".

Don't know where he brought me, but I was glad that that was the last time I'd saw Kyle.