Chapter-3 : Determined

Start from the beginning

Eventually their company grew bigger and bigger and now has earned the top rank at the best drop shippers' list in this country. Later, dad decided to open a website to spread his business throughout the country which resulted in www.H2O.com.bd Thousands of products from overseas are sold and delivered to the customers directly from the manufacturers every day.

No doubt that my family is filthy rich though I hate to show it off. Moreover my very own relentless autocratic mom provides me a small and fixed amount of pocket money every month so that I don't squander away. I have to spend each penny wisely to keep myself in one piece at the end of the month. I don't have any extra income like tuitions by which I could earn fleshpots for me.

In Chittagong almost all people know that Mr. Zahid Khan's son has gone to the best university for higher studies but here, in Dhaka very few of my friends know about the truth behind the scenes. I sponge like middle class people because I don't want others to evaluate me for my family's financial status. I have always told that my dad has a small business to support my family. They just don't know how 'small' that is actually. If people, especially girls had any idea that my dad is the owner of H2O, I can't imagine how bigger their line for getting my hand in marriage would be.

My mom always used to teach me everything at home so that I don't need any coaching classes besides schooling like my friends because she was always anxious and worried that something terrible would happen to me and she would lost her one and only child. The sad part is dad pampered her over sensitivity about me too. But the reality was they were never able to keep me home as they wanted.

I felt nauseated to be alone at home as I didn't have any siblings. Though my mom is a loving person, dad is kinda reserved. They often went to India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia or other countries to deal with the suppliers for their business and this was my only chance to escape from home. At times I had fled away to Saint Martin or Coxs' Bazar with my best friend Miraz just to meet up my curiosity. I knew that this would make my mom anxious and sick and so I had come back after a week. Dad then battered the hell out of me.

I heard that they even printed advertisements in the newspaper about me. I laughed subrosa hearing that as it made me more proud of myself. Well at least my photo got printed in the newspaper,right? After that I pretended to be obedient for about two weeks and then again I was back to the pavilion, making other plans to escape.

It was a great relief when I got chance in this university to get out from mom's continuous observation. She was always so scared and sensitive about me that she even insisted dad to get me admitted in a nearby college instead. Thank god that dad understood what this university means to me and let me live and study here. I wouldn't be surprised if he told that I should better go to Dhaka everyday and come back home on plane just to keep my mom tension free. After all he is capable of affording my plane tickets everyday.

Even now,after five years of staying in Dhaka, mom calls me every day to hear about my activities. If she could, she would leave her job to come and live with me. She is the one who always asks me what I eat everyday and advises me to study well. Though dad occasionally calls me,I know that I'm their one and only hope and support. They have fostered so many dreams about me since my birth that I'm obligated to fulfill that. I hate this chain which has tied me with my parents. I hate to take over so many responsibilities on my shoulders alone. Why the heck am I their only fulcrum??? I never wished to be the only child.

Shayba's P.O.V.

Coming inside, I get prepared for this new day. It should be better than yesterday. It definitely has to be.

Nadia and Farhana are up already. We talked as if we totally forgot about the previous day. Well that's a positive thing.

Today I wear my black kamiz with a ruby shaded hijab and match it with my crimson poncho. I have a really great obsession over black colour. Then I put on some matte black kajal and my everyday-used fave lipstick. Staring at my reflection for some time, I think over the whole incident and then swoosh it away from my head. I literally am feeling stronger today.

Locking the door, we head up to the canteen. There are senior girls eating beside us. I've met them yesterday in the lobby.

When we approached them, Sabrina apu put on a big smile on her face and said,"Hey newbies! Come, join us."

"You should eat a great deal as you'll have to starve for the next five hours. Make sure that you don't faint,okay?" Another senior,whose name I forgot, told us. That was sweet! My heart melted at her treating me with such a motherly behavior.

"Definitely apu." Farhana replied.

I already started enjoying the classes. Taking lectures is my first and foremost duty. After all I have to study well for these four years, earn good grades,then finally doing a Ph.D. and after that open my own business firm as an architect. I really don't want to care about marriage now and only wanna focus on my career. Though I know this well that my parents won't let me do that ever.

It is now structural mechanics class of Mizan Sir. I take my seat beside Biva and concentrate on his lecture. I had read the chapter last night though I didn't understand a single thing. But now when sir is explaining the same thing,it becomes crystal clear to me. It makes me so happy that I feel boosted again.

The second period is Shahriar Sir's Surveying class. He is a fun person. He enters the room smilingly and says,"Today I want you to introduce yourselves to me. Start from the right side and tell something about you."

Everyone starts telling about their hereabouts and their dreams. When it is my turn, I stand up and say, "Assalamu Alaikum everyone. I'm Shayba Ahmed from Edward Girls' College and I am here with an ever cherished dream like you too. It's nice to meet you all. Hope we will get along well and make some beautiful memories in the next few years. You will help me do that,won't you?"

Some of them exclaimed,"Sure!" leaving me grin from ear to ear. "Thank you." saying this I sit down.

Hope the rest of my student life will go smoothly. How nice it would be if all the seniors were same like the sisters we met today! But I think I probably should not worry because everyone consoled me saying that ragging will come to an end soon and all the seniors will treat you like their own sister. Hope it comes true one day.