Chapter 23: Catch Me

Camila's POV:

How can someone be so egocentric? God, he's unbearable. "So yeah, that concert was basically one of the best concerts ever and I had at least five bras thrown at stage." Austin says smirking. "That's really cool." I answer uninterestedly. This stupid fake date is the most boring thing in the world and there's probably no one less interesting and less smart than Austin Mahone. I can't believe I dated him last year, he's an asshole. "Don't get jealous though, I still like you too." He adds holding my hand over the table. There are plenty of paparazzi outside of the coffee shop we're in, but I quickly snatch my hand away from his grip and grab my glass of water. "Please remember we're not actually together and I can barely stand you." I say with a soft fake smile. "Why are you so moody? I thought this was fun." He says with a grin and keeps looking at his phone all the time. "I'm not moody, I just would rather be anywhere in the world right now than here." I answer rolling my eyes. I could be with Lauren figuring out what we're going to do about Cole and Normani now that she finally believes me, but I'm here, with the douche Austin Mahone. What was I thinking when I started dating him? I guess I was just trying to stop my feelings towards my green eyed best friend, but in the end I couldn't fight them. The heart wants what the heart wants, and mine has always wanted Lauren. And now that I finally have her all to myself, I have to spend time pretending I'm dating Austin just because Simon thinks it will be good for our career. But in reality most fans support me and Lauren, they even wanted us to be together since we were in The X Factor. "So what's up with you and Lauren?" He suddenly asks me. "Umm what do you mean? We're friends." I answer nervously. "I didn't know you slept with your friends in the same bed, cuddling." He says mockingly and I really want to punch him right now, but there are too many cameras pointed at my direction. "We fell asleep, but there's nothing going on between us. She was just taking care of me after some idiot hit me in the head." I say staring into his eyes and he bites his lip nervously. "Yeah, I heard about that." He says sipping on his drink. "And the scary part is that it was probably someone who was at Lauren's party. You were there, right?" I ask playing dumb to see if he actually confesses something or at least gives me some hints. "Yes, but there were a lot of people, you know how popular Lauren is." Austin says forcing a smile. "Yeah, tell me about it. So what's going on between you and Normani if I may ask?" I say flirty and his cheeks blush a little. "Nothing, she just invited me to the party." He answers staring at the table. "Oh, cool. But you were arguing about something that night." I keep on pressing his buttons to see if I can get any response. "Were we? I don't remember." He answers avoiding eye contact again and stares at his phone, which has been buzzing all the time. He's probably talking to Normani and Cole or whoever's working with them, and I'm about to find out. "Hey can I use your phone? My battery is dead." I say trying to grab his phone from across the table, but he quickly puts it away. "Sorry, I'm running out of battery too." He explains with half a smile. "Please, it will only take a second. I need to tell the girls something really important." I add putting my hand on top of his. "Okay, just a second." He answers and starts doing something on his phone, probably deleting texts or something. "Who are you texting? Mani?" I tease him and he hands me his phone. "Not really, now don't take too long." He says and I smile at him. "Thanks Austin, I appreciate it." I answer and stand up. "Where are you going? You can talk here." He says making me sit down again. "Chill, what are you hiding?" I say giggling, but he clearly doesn't find this funny. "Nothing, what are you hiding that you need to talk alone?" He answers lifting his eyebrows. "God, relax. I'll talk here." I say rolling my eyes and quickly dial Normani's number. It beeps a couple of times before I hear her overanxious voice. "Austin I told you not to call me, I think the bitches are suspecting something's up." She says in a nervous whisper. "Umm Mani, its me, Camila." I say softly and hear Normani gasp. "Oh, hey Mila, what's up?" She says and I try my best to keep on my act. "I just wanted to let you guys know I won't be home in a while. I didn't know Austin called you, and who's suspecting something?" I say setting my eyes on my date, who by judging on his facial expression, clearly overheard what Normani just said. "Never mind, good luck on your date." She says hurriedly and hangs up. "Here, thanks." I say handing Austin his phone and he accepts it with a fake smile. "I should get you home, its kinda late." He says standing up. "Yeah, sure." I answer and following him out of the coffee shop holding his hand. As soon as we step outside the paparazzi run surrounding us. "Hey Austin, Camila say hi to the camera." "Austin is it true you are also seeing Selena Gomez." "Camila, how's Lauren?" Questions keep popping as we make our way to Austin's car, where we can finally drive home peacefully. I don't think I'll even get used to this amount of attention, its overwhelming how much they actually care about my private life. "So what did Normani say?" Austin asks softly. I know he know's exactly what she said, and I urgently need to talk to Lauren about this. "Nothing really, why?" I answers with a smile and he just shrugs.