Chapter 27 | You Have To See It With Your Ears

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help it, I doubled over and laughed until tears surfaced. "Sure, Ethan, sure," my words were still jiggling in hilarity, and I looked at his smiling face that chuckled along.

"I still don't like the symphony though," he clarified, taking the music sheet in his hands and tracing it with his fingers, scanning each and every note tattooed on the paper.

He used the right term for the work.

A small smile displayed on my lips as I watched him and his words carefully. "Of course, Your Majesty, there's no doubt that you do not enjoy Mariage D'Amour."

"That's not how you pronounce it," he gave me a disgusted look. "It's French, you have to pronounce it like a French person; Mariage D'Amour."

I was taken aback for a moment, and for a while, I couldn't do anything than to stare at him with utter surprise.

"You speak French?" I finally got out.

He shrugged his shoulders, a cheeky smile painted on his lips. "Well, yeah, I think the language is beautiful and addictive to listen to - it's just so, I don't know, magical."

Magical. Believe me, I know all about magical stuff.

"French is my getaway language - if that makes sense," Ethan continued, looking at me to see if I was following his words. "J'aime parler le français, parce que personne ne peut comprendre de quoi je parle."

A puzzled grimace surfaced on my face, and I shook my head to snap out of the enchanting and foreign wording. "I'm not entirely sure what you said, but I am certain that it has something to do with you enjoying the fact that no one can understand you."

He laughed, "Maybe," he gave an innocent shrug. "So, do you have any getaway language - a language that you can speak without anyone understanding you, or is that just me?"

I chewed on his words, dwelling on if I should spill my secrets. "Yes, I mean, I got two but I only speak fluently in one of them."

"Two? Wow, I didn't know you could speak English."

Although the comment was aimed to mock me, it made me snort with laughter. "Surprising, right?" I joined him in the light air, slowly taking the music sheet out of his hands and putting it back to its place. "Ready to hear the na na na na na na again?"

"Wait, you didn't tell me-"

I cut him off by playing, and he didn't object to the boring symphony that was dancing around us.

"You know what, you can tell me about it later."

I wasn't sure when 'later' was going to be, but I did know that time was a funny thing in the world of music.

We sat in the theater for God knows how long, and I had no idea how many times I played the magical symphony. But it was more than enough for Ethan to know how to hum it forward and backward, and enough for me to know it without the song sheet in sight.

Time fled, the sun disappeared, the light vanished, and neither Ethan or I noticed any of the important details. We were too busy enjoying the work, the small jokes we exchanged from time to time and the moment that everything just effaced around us.