Chapter 3 | What The Hell Were You Thinking!?

Elena's P.O.V.

Imagine this: you're peacefully walking home through the woods, when suddenly —BAM, a white rabbit appears out of the blue and decides to follow you.

So, what do you do?

You leave some food for it to eat, of course, because only then can you continue your adventure. However, the Universe doesn't work like that — no, you must be naïve if you think with a brain like that.

Instead of leaving you alone, it kicks the back of your ankle for you to trip and fall down a freaking hill. Maybe it was for entertainment, I don't know, but one thing is for sure.

I hate the Universe and its stupid actions.

Because of this incident, I have now a broken arm that matches my broken ribs, a light concussion, and my entire body is covered in ugly bruises and scratches after being beaten up by the ground.

Isn't life just lovely?

Oh, but it doesn't end there.

Let's just say that I would rather wake up in a cold tombstone than a warm hospital bed to explain about your 'adventure' to the police.

"So, yeah. . ." I finished my tale of embarrassment, making the women officers raise their eyebrows.

It's a good thing that I left out the part about the weird light, or else Hazel would've died of face-palming too much as she listened with a careful ear.

"Okay, let me get this straight." The woman with the blonde hair started, looking over her notes and then at me. "After you fed the rabbit, you walked backward, tripped over a tree root you didn't see, and fell down a sixty-five feet long hill."

The story of my life.

"What a bad luck you have there, kiddo." The other woman shook her head, her curly hair still flying around as she carefully patted my left arm with the cast on. "But you're also lucky that you're still alive."

"Yeah, you kept your head cold without panicking — and that's very impressive for a sixteen-year-old." Blondie gave me a look of profound in her blue eyes. "But next time, look where you're going, okay? It's a miracle that you got help when you did."

I nodded, putting on a fake smile to their informative lecture that enlightened me for something I had no clue of.

"Don't worry. Hopefully, this will be the last time I fall down a hill." They both gave a curt laugh at my choice of words, exchanging an amused glance.

"Have some rest, kid, you deserve it." With a short nod with their hats, they left me and my friend alone in the white room.

I'm never going to hear the end of this. . . I thought, knowing that I would be the new talk in their jobs.

Thinking that it couldn't get any worse, it did. Seriously, I'm convinced that God is sitting in heaven, laughing along with the angels who are, most likely, recording my life with their magical camera.

Ugh, this is seriously not my day. At all.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Hazel shouted, flying off her chair like a bolting thunder. "You could've died! If I didn't call to curse you out for not texting me, who would've known what would've happened to you!"

I knew that - no matter what path I chose, or what I did, or what I said - I would die in the end. My choices were to either die in the woods or to be killed by Hazel after surviving the fall.

Whatever I decided, whichever way I chose to go, the outcome was unchanged. Just lovely, don't you agree too?

"Well, you're cursing me out now, so I guess you got what you wanted." I retorted, looking at my fingers that played with the snow-colored sheets.