"Is she the reason why we need to change our dining furniture?" Bruno asked, raising his eyebrows.

"No, I just think we need more just in case we have dinner guests."

"Since when do we ever have guests for dinner?"

"We have dinner guests all the time!"

"Yes, but in hotels!"

"Maybe we should start hosting some of our friends for dinner when we move to the new place," I said

"Do you really need to host some of our 'friends'  with her around?  Bruno said the word friends with a drag and sarcasm.

Oh shit! He was right. I couldn't have anyone in my business close to her except a few of them. I wasn't very trusting. The only people I trusted in the world were all in this room.

"Can we now go down and have some work done?" I asked

"Sorry, boss. Can't, I'm tired and in need of some rest," Romano said, taking out his phone.

"Can't either; I haven't slept well in a while," Bruno said, his attention shifting to me.

"Why are you so interested in going to the vault at this hour" Bruno like a dog with a bone again

"What is new in that?" We do it t all the time.

"Yeah, but you have a woman in your room. So what gives" Ramano asks

"Has nothing to do with her!"

"Really?" Bruno smirks at me

"What are you afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid of shit!" I shouted at them angrily.

"Then prove it. Go to bed," Bruno said. Using his hands to cover his face and looking at me between the spaces on the fingers.

You're such a child sometimes, and I don't have to prove shit to any of you."

"Fine! Then go down to the vault alone because I sure as hell not going with you."

I shrugged my shoulders and turned towards my bedroom. I needed to check on Sophie before heading out anyway.

I knocked.  Damn! I have become one of those men who knock on their bedroom doors.

Do married men do the same?

God! Where the hell did that come from?

I pushed the door when I heard a small voice.

Oh my god!

There she was, lying in my bed, in my shirt and boxers. She was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. I stared, I stared until she became uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry, I don't have anything of mine to wear, and I needed to shower. I figured you wouldn't mind."

She spoke too fast, fidgeting. Her eyes focused on my eyes. She was nervous. But not afraid.

Hell yeah!

Progress. I thought

I couldn't stop the smile. This woman was going to take me on a rollercoaster. Part of me was eager; another was scared shitless.

"It's okay, help yourself; God knows I have more than enough."

She nodded.

"You said this was your room. Do you mind directing me to a guest room? I'm feeling the weight of the day I have had."

Taking a deep breath, I walked to the other side of the bed, stood in between her and the bed.

"You're sleeping with me."

"No, I'm not!" she said vehemently; I had this feeling she wanted to stump her foot like a child for emphasis."

"It's a huge bed; we'll fit in perfectly well without either of us crowding the other. Nothing will happen; you have my word."

I realized it was important for her to trust me. I wanted her to trust me.

"You ask a lot of me. I don't know you," she said—her voice breaking.

"I won't hurt you; I promised I would never hurt you, and believe me having you with me is the only way I'm gonna sleep in peace." I pleaded with her.

She stood there, in front of me, so small, dressed in my clothes. Looking sexy and I wondered why God would allow such an innocent woman to cross my path.

The last time I met such an innocent was five years ago, and I couldn't stand her. I almost shot her because she bored me to death.

Yet this one, I claimed. I could kill for her. God really must have a sense of humor.