Chapter One-Hundred Ninety-Five

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 195

EPOV

I had every intention of just looking for Bella's engagement ring. That intention flew right out the window when I saw the most delicate and beautiful ring ever. It was a halo setting, just like I wanted. What made it unique was that it was in a rose gold setting with light pink diamonds. The center stone was a cushion cut diamond with smaller round cut diamonds surrounding it and going down the sides of the ring. I didn't buy it. Though, I wanted to. Instead, I put it on layaway, putting about half the cost of the ring down.

Hell, I even put money down on two wedding bands. One was a thicker band with white and rose gold along with white and pink diamonds. The other band was like the band of the engagement ring: all rose gold with pink diamonds going all the way around the ring.

My mom even found a ring for their anniversary. It was pretty but I was more focused on the fact that I found the ring that I was going to propose to my girl. The ring that was going to sit on her left hand for the rest of our lives together.

Once we were done, I borrowed her car and drove to Bella's condo. It was still pretty early. She wasn't due home until after five. It was just after three. I wanted to surprise my girl. So, I went and ordered some of her favorite foods from La Rustica, picking them up on my way to her place. Letting myself into her condo, I put the food into the fridge and began lighting candles and preparing for our 'picnic' on the floor of her place. Carino must have heard me puttering around and she launched herself at my legs.

"Ah, furball," I chuckled, plucking her off my jeans and nuzzling her against my neck. "How have you been, cat?" She purred, plopping her fat body on my shoulder. I continued my preparations with a fuzzy, purring mole on my body. Once I was done, I shooed Carino off my body and took a quick shower. I changed into a pair of black dress pants and a black sweater. Plating the food, I put it in the oven to warm it up and waited for Bella to get back.

I didn't have to wait long.

Bella's keys rattled in the door and I stood up, leaning casually against the wall in the foyer. She stumbled in, yawning widely. Then, she inhaled. "What? Did I leave a candle burning again?"

"Nope," I smirked.

"Okay, the voices in my head are answering me and they sound like Edward," she muttered, turning around. "Holy shit!" Her eyes were wide and she ran toward me, throwing herself into my arms. "You're here! Oh my GOD! Edward!" She kissed every inch of my face before pressing her lips to mine. I held her in my arms as she sobbed happily, continuing to kiss my face. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"My boss told me to visit you. So, I emailed my professors and I made arrangements to fly out," I said, smiling crookedly. I carried her into the kitchen, placing her on the counter. "I missed you terribly, piccolino. I'm sorry about my schedule imploding..."

"It's not your fault, Edward. I know that," she said, hugging me close. "I'm so glad you're home. When did you get in?"

"Around ten this morning. I spent some time with Esme after I took a nice long nap. Then, went out to pick up the food for our dinner. I ended up here with Carino as my furry sidekick in setting up our living room picnic." I swept her into my arms and carried her into the living room. Gently, I placed her on the mounds of blankets and pillows in front of her fireplace. "Don't move, Little One."

"Can I take off my coat?" she giggled.

"Okay, take off your coat but after that, don't move." I darted back into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of white wine. I opened it, pouring us both a healthy glass. I carried the wine and glasses out to the living room. I kissed her sweetly before going back into the kitchen, balancing our meals on my arms. Placing them on the cocktail table, I sat down next to Bella. I picked up my wine glass, clinking it with hers. "To surprises."

"Amazing surprises," she beamed. "I know that you were busy but this was completely unexpected, Edward. I think I love your boss."

"Leslie is all sorts of awesome. He kicks my ass but is so down to earth and an amazing teacher," I replied.

"Are the hours you're working, normal?" Bella asked. There was a great amount of worry in her eyes.

"I don't know, Little One. I'm assuming that once I get into a groove, the hours will even out. Plus, Leslie's firm works with high-end, multi-billion dollar clients. I'm certain that once I start out, I will not be dealing with that."

"I just really miss you," she said in a tiny voice, twisting her spaghetti and blushing the same color as the pasta sauce on her meal. I stilled her hand, guiding her to my lap. I held her tightly. She sniffled, wrapping her arms around my neck. "This is harder than I anticipated."

"I know, Bella. I haven't had a full-night's sleep since Valentine's Day. My classes are going well, but I'm just existing. We both know that this is temporary," I said, taking her face in my hands. "I miss holding you, touching you, kissing you, loving you...everything. Couple that with not getting home until after midnight and having a conversation with you that I can barely remember because I'm so exhausted. I get it. I'm sorry that I've been away and that my classes and internship are causing strain on our relationship." I kissed her softly, holding her to my body. "Perhaps I should come home..."

"NO! Edward, no! I'm sorry," she said, staring into my eyes. "Don't quit because of me. You're too smart and too amazing! We'll get through this, Edward. I just know it. Just this past week had been incredibly tough. I practically stalked Irina at her office, begging her to see me. She talked me through it and she's trying to get me to trust other people, but it's so hard."

"What did she say?"

"She encouraged me to go out with someone new. Go for coffee or whatever. I went out with Felipe after work yesterday, going out for dinner but I was looking over my shoulder to see if one of Aro's goons was going to get me. Felipe asked why I was so on edge and I told him about my captivity. Not all of the gritty details, but the gist of it." She frowned, toying with a string on my sweater. "I'm so afraid that I'm never going to be normal."

"What's normal?" I snickered.

"Edward," she chided, almost whining. "When will I ever not feel like I'm going to be hurt again?"

I sighed, wrapping my arms around her waist. "You saw the worst in humanity. You will probably never trust or give your trust as willingly as before. You'll always be wary. I am. I'm better since it happened fourteen years ago, but I will never trust men. Especially ones that resemble my birth father." I chuckled darkly. "In a way, I don't trust myself."

"Why?"

"I'm the spitting image of my dad, only with my mom's hair coloring." Bella kissed me sweetly and I held her closer. "It will always be something to contend with. There will be days where you feel almost normal. Then, there will be days that you don't want to get out of bed. But, always know that I'm always with you. Even now, when I'm thousands of miles away. I love you, Bella and you will get better."

"Speaking of getting better," she smiled, a warm blush covering her face. "I want to thank you for coming to visit me."

"Just holding you is thank you enough," I replied.

"As sweet as that statement is, that's not what I had in mind," she purred, pushing on my shoulder.

A/N: What does Miss del Cigno have in mind? *Snickers* Leave me some!!

l!