Chapter One-Hundred Fifty-Two

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 152

BPOV

When I woke up again, I was curled against Edward's chest. He was still sleeping deeply, snoring slightly. I heard a bustle in the room and I looked around. A petite nurse smiled at us. "He hasn't left your side since you were moved to the telemetry floor. We tease Edward about being a vampire and his need to watch over you while you are here. He doesn't sleep," she giggled. "It's weird to see him with his eyes closed." She walked over to me. "I'm Shelly and I've been your nurse during the day."

"Nice to meet you," I said quietly. "You're not going to yell at him for being in my bed?"

"Nope. He's been staying on that recliner next to your bed and they're not very comfy," she replied, wrinkling her nose. "Your cousin also has been here most of the time, but decided to stay at the hotel that past few nights."

"What about my dad?" I asked.

"He hasn't been here," she frowned. "Now, how's your pain?"

"Manageable," I shrugged. Really, I was in agony. My leg was throbbing and my entire ribcage felt like it was going to collapse.

"Stop lying," Shelly admonished. "On a scale of one to ten..."

"Ten," I sighed. Shelly smirked knowingly. She handed me a button, explaining that it was going to administer a dose of morphine each time I pressed it. I couldn't overdose since it was metered. Immediately, I depressed it. The pain dissipated. I sighed and snuggled against Edward's shoulder. We lay there until Shelly finished her duties with me. I was kind of squicked out when she changed my foley bag. She explained that I was really ambulatory due to the extent of the break on my leg. The bag was necessary.

I fell back asleep with a wrinkled nose at that prospect.

I woke up later and I was alone in my bed. I could hear the shower going in the bathroom attached to my hospital room. I looked around and saw a book on the recliner. I could hear Emmett's voice outside of the room. I tried to move on the hospital bed, but when I did, pain radiated all throughout my body. I let out a scream. The bathroom door opened and a half-dressed Edward sprang out. "Bella? Are you okay?" he asked, looking at me in a panic.

"Hurts," I sobbed, clinching my teeth. That made my jaw hurt and I sobbed more. Edward picked up the morphine button, pressing it twice to give me a booster of my pain medication.

"The medication is coming, Little One," he said. I felt the meds circulate through me and I relaxed marginally. I was still panting in pain. Emmett came into the room and he was white as a ghost. Eventually, the pain disappeared and I was really tired. I didn't want to sleep. I wanted answers. Emmett sat down next to me, taking my hand. Edward stepped back, looking down at the floor.

"Where's Charlie?" I hissed in anguish.

"He'll be here soon," Emmett said, after shooting Edward a look.

"How soon?" I spat. I groaned and fell back onto the bed. Shelly came in with a stern look.

"How are you going to heal if you get all riled up, Bella?" she chided. "Did you give her a booster of the morphine?"

"Yeah, but it's not working," Edward replied, his voice detached and sad.

As he said that, I could feel my body relax. I let out a breath. "Better, Bella?" Shelly asked.

"It's getting there," I grumbled.

"Good. Now, don't move. Got me?" Shelly snarled.

I nodded and watched her leave the room. "Where's my Dad?" I sniffled. "I need him. I need to talk to him."

"Bella, he's going to be here, but you have be patient and trust us," Emmett said. I shot Edward a withering look. The dead look in his eyes returned and I knew I was being a bitch. "I know you don't trust Edward, but it was because of him that you're here."

"I know that," I said, looking back at Emmett.

"If it means anything to you, I trust Edward with my life..." Emmett whispered, staring at me. "We have to tell her, Ed."

"Let me do it. I don't want her hating you, too. She can focus all of her hatred to me," Edward sighed resignedly. They communicated without talking before Emmett left. Edward sat down next to me, eyeing me cautiously. "Before I tell you everything, you need to promise me that you won't fly off the handle. I don't want you hurt any more than you already are. Please, Bella?"

"I'll try, but if you say something that I don't like, I'm going to comment about it," I said, glaring at him.

"The reason why your dad hasn't been here is because he's in jail..."

A/N: I know, I'm a cliffie h00r. We're switching back to Edward next chapter. He'll explain it all. Just like Clarissa from Nickelodeon. *Snorts*