Chapter Fifty-Six

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter Fifty-Six

He got into the driver's seat and Alice was in the passenger seat, scowling at me. "You got some 'splaining to do, Lucy," she said, a twinkle in her eye.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said coolly.

"Edward, come on, man. We saw you hold her hand. Either you got over your aversion to touch, or you're a really good actor, OR you're in love with the girl," Jasper said as he pretended to fill out paperwork. I looked over his shoulder and all over the blank page were the words, 'I love Alice. She's my soul mate' along with fruity hearts all around it.

"Okay, okay," I said, sitting back against the seat. "She's, she's amazing. Yes, a little young but she can touch me and I don't freak out. In fact, I want her to touch me since she calms me so much."

"If I wasn't in 'character' I'd be squealing," Alice said, giving me a sly grin. "I'm happy for you, Edward. You deserve to be loved."

"We're not in love," I said quickly.

"Uh huh. Me neither," Jasper said dryly, holding up his clipboard. "Dude, you can't fake the emotions I'm getting off you now. You're making googly eyes at her."

"The feelings I have for her are real, but I can't fall in love with her. Jas, she's a job," I frowned, curling up in the backseat.

"Is she guilty of anything?" Alice asked.

"Not that I've seen. Yes, she spends money like she's Donald Trump, but she's a good girl. Her father doesn't want her in this life. She doesn't have the heart to handle it. Really, she doesn't," I explained. "After last night, she was a sobbing, hysterical mess. At the funeral of her father's bodyguard, she had a panic attack, passing out in the funeral parlor. She could not kill someone in cold blood."

"Then it's a possibility that your relationship will survive," Alice said giving me another sly grin.

"Alice, I've been lying to her since day one," I grumbled.

"No, you haven't. From I've gathered from your reports is that you're telling her your story, omitting a few things," Alice said as she clacked away on the laptop.

"Yeah, my real name, my real job and the fact that in two classes plus taking the Bar Exam I could be a fucking attorney?" I growled. "Alice, I'm setting myself up for failure. My heart's going to be broken."

"Edward, it will work out. It may be bumpy getting there, but it will work out," Alice said as she smiled at me.

"Now, why are you two jokers here? Am I being pulled?"

"No. The cops found rounds on the ground near the parking garage. Thankfully, we were there to swipe them before they were catalogued," Jasper hissed. "You used your department-issued Glock?"

"I didn't have anything from Charlie. I always have my Glock with me. I just shot at the SUV, trying to disable the car," I grumbled.

"Edward, that was sloppy and careless. You could have been discovered," Alice admonished. "You can't use that gun again. Edward, if the cops had run a ballistics test on the rounds on the ground, it would have shot back to your weapon and you would have been pulled. A year and half of building a case would have been lost."

"Fine, I'll put the gun into storage," I sighed. "Not that it matters right now. Charlie's sending Bella to Italy because of what happened. I'm going with her. I can't travel with any of the weapons Charlie issued me."

"Have you told Carlisle?" Jasper asked.

"No. I'm going to my apartment to get my passport along with file another report on Monday. I'll lock up the gun in the apartment and call Carlisle."

"We'll let him know. He'll be at your apartment," Alice explained. "I'd keep your relationship with Bella under wraps."

"You're not going to tell?" I asked.

"No, Edward. Like I said before, everyone deserves to be loved and that even includes you," she snorted. Alice turned to me. "Be safe, Edward." I gave her a smile and gripped her hand. Her eyes widened and she beamed. "I like Bella. She's making you normal."

"Whatever, Officer Rathbone," I snickered. "Am I done?"

"Yeah. Have fun in Italy, Cullen," Jasper grinned.

I rolled my eyes and got out of the car. I ambled toward the house, watching Alice and Jasper pull away. Bella was standing just inside the door, holding a cup of coffee for me. "Thanks, Little One."

"You were out there a long time. Everything okay?" she asked.

"Just some questions about the gun I used," I explained. "Asking me how long I had it and such. They also asked if I had license to carry. Officer Greene looked me up on his database, after asking my social security number, and saw that I was allowed to carry concealed weapons."

"The girl officer, she was smiling at you," Bella said flatly.

"She was flirting, Little One. I'm not interested in her. I'm interested in you," I said, kissing her lips softly. "Only interested in you."

A/N: Sorry about the lack of pictorial enhancement, but these chapters are a bit of a transition. I also hope that this clears up some questions about Edward's intentions toward Bella. However, everything he's told her is the truth, save for his last name and real job. The feelings that he's experiencing are real, too. So, yeah. I'm on Facebook (Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation) and twitter (tufano79). Leave me some loving!

ht:no*'