Chapter One-Hundred Thirty-Nine

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 139

The flight down to Portland was tense. Charlie was nervous about seeing Bella in pain. Emmett wanted to hurt someone, mainly Aro, James and Riley. Carlisle was stressed because we were bringing in civilians into an op. And well, I was freaking out because I was seeing Bella. Period. My feelings hadn't changed but she felt betrayed and hurt by my lies. It would be a long road before she could ever trust me again. I had to get her to safety. I had to protect her. If she didn't want me, then I'd live with those consequences.

I'd hate those consequences, but I'd live with them.

Jasper, Alice, Rose, Seth and Jacob were flying in another helicopter. They were going to be picked up by a mobile command center vehicle while we were using a Yukon Denali with unmarked plates. While we drove to the warehouse, the building was going to be surrounded and the Volturi were going down.

We landed at the Portland Airport, on a helipad. The field director of the Portland office was waiting for us. He greeted Carlisle and me, studiously ignoring Charlie and Emmett. After a few strained pleasantries, he handed Carlisle a set of keys and we walked to the waiting black SUV. Carlisle handed me the keys. I programmed the address into the GPS while Carlisle went over protocols with Emmett and Charlie. He was much more clinical with them.

I just said 'don't shoot things.'

Carlisle did not. He used big, official, government words. Emmett poked my neck and smiled at me. I nodded, driving through downtown Portland. Just outside of Portland, we pulled up and parked next to the large Cadillac Escalade that we all knew belonged to Aro. The vanity license plates that said 'ArosCaddy' were a clear indication.

Moron.

"Everyone check in," Alice chirped in our ears.

"Carlisle here," my dad said, checking his weapon.

"Edward here," I replied, turning off the car. Charlie and Emmett fumbled through their check in but were fine. Alice could hear them loud and clear. Carlisle went over the plan with them again and we walked to the entrance of the warehouse. My heart was stammering. I felt sick to my stomach and anxious. Normally during ops, my emotions were turned off and nothing mattered. Now? I was a mess. I knew Bella was inside that building and being hurt, possibly.

"Pull it together, Edward," Carlisle murmured. I took a breath, steeling myself for whatever may happen in the warehouse.

Charlie walked over to the entrance, opening the door and striding to the office. Emmett was on his left and I was on his right. Carlisle was behind us, looking sheepish and wary, playing his part as best as he could. "I need to see Aro," Charlie said coldly to the receptionist. "Don't give me bullshit that he's not here. His car is parked out front. If you value your life, get him."

"Who shall I say is asking for him?" she stammered.

"Charlie del Cigno," he replied, cracking his knuckles. She nodded and darted in the back. Five minutes later, Aro walked out with her, looking ruffled and honestly, pissed off. "I'm glad you decided to meet with me."

"You left me little choice, Charlie," Aro said, narrowing his eyes. "You threatened my employee. Come. Let's go into my office. Without your muscle."

"Bullshit. They're coming in with me. We've got much to discuss, Aro," Charlie said, smiling wickedly.

"The big one can come in with you, but the other two need to wait outside," Aro hissed.

"My brother is the reason why I'm here, Aro. Edward can stay out in the lobby, but Carlisle needs to be with me. He's not a part of this life..."

"Fine," Aro conceded. "You," he pointed at me. "Stay here. If you leave, my men will shoot you on the spot. Understood?"

"Crystal clear, Aro," I said smugly. Charlie, Carlisle and Emmett walked into the office. The woman watched as I sat down in the lobby. I could hear the conversation going on behind the closed doors due to my earpiece.

"Edward, do you read?" Rose asked. I tapped on my ear, indicating that I heard her. "As you listen to the conversation, if something goes awry, you have clearance to look for Bella. Use whatever force necessary to find her. That's per the field director in Portland. Carlisle's the go-to in this case, but while he's 'under,' Special Agent Banner is calling the shots. Clear?" I tapped my ear again. "Good luck, Edward."

I listened to the conversation and it was all a ruse. Aro never had any inkling to listen to what Charlie had to say. He was talking in circles and seemed distracted. "Special Agent Cullen? This is Special Agent Banner, you have permission to search the building."

"Excuse me," I asked, sauntering up to the receptionist's desk. "Where's the bathroom?" I knew I looked dangerous with my scar on my head but I used the full effect of my eyes and 'fuck me' hair.

"Out the door and to the left," she tittered.

"Thank you," I smiled, turning on my heel and exiting the office. I turned to the left, which was toward the exit. I stood outside of the bathroom for a few moments before sneaking past the office and heading deeper into the warehouse. I was a man on a mission. My mission was to find Bella.

A/N: The raid is next...I'm just giving you a heads up. The raid will end in a cliffie. So, fair warning. Don't be throwing tomatoes or whatnot at me. Pictures of the warehouse, the office and the SUV are on my blog and tumblr. Link's for those are on my profile. You can also find me on Facebook (Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation) or on twitter: tufano79. Leave me some!

e.—FU