Chapter One-Hundred Eighty-Five

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 185

BPOV

I was nervously typing on my laptop while Edward was in the court room, giving his testimony. Rose, Alice and Jasper tried to talk to me but I was too anxious. Instead, I was working on my writing. As odd as it sounded, I was writing a story, fictional, of course, based off what I had experienced over the past seven months. Obviously, I changed names, locations and some major details of the story, but for the most part it was about Edward and me. It was cathartic to write about the good times we had, the struggles we were currently overcoming and hopefully having the future I created for my two main characters: Elijah and Janelle.

I was currently writing their first time making love together, reliving that special moment Edward and I shared, when Carlisle came into the holding room. "They just finished with Edward," he said. "He's sitting in the gallery, waiting for the announcement of the recess."

"How did it go, Carlisle?" asked Rose.

"Shockingly, easy," Carlisle chuckled. "The defense attorney only asked one question and that was related to his relationship with Bella. Phil objected it and the judge sustained it. It's like Aro isn't putting up any fight."

"Perhaps he thinks that he can get off like Charlie did," I snorted derisively.

"Your father was not harboring enough weapons to wipe off a third world country off the planet. The only charge that could stick was the drug charge," Carlisle said. "Aro is going down in flames. He's going to be executed for his crimes. It's like he's given up."

I shrugged, turning back to my story and typing feverishly. A few moments later, Edward and Phil strode into the conference room. I hopped up and ran into Edward's arms. "Are you okay?" I whispered against his ear.

"Everything's fine," Edward replied, taking my face into his hands. Gently, he kissed me and crushed me to his chest. I eagerly accepted his embrace, knowing full well that he needed it. Hell, so did I. Burying his nose into my hair, he sighed, "I'm glad it's over."

"We still have one more hurdle and that's Bella's testimony," Phil explained. "Then, we're turning it over to the defense. They've only got two witnesses. One is a character witness saying that Aro is a fine, upstanding member of the community, living a quiet, mundane life on Mercer Island and the other is a shrink saying he's cuckoo."

"How is that possible? They tried an insanity plea and was denied it," Carlisle growled.

"From what I saw in that courtroom, they're grasping at straws. His attorney is trying to use his mental anguish over the loss of his wife as the impetus for his psychotic break," Phil said, rolling his eyes. "When she was discovered, Sulpulcia was dead for only two days. That amount of weaponry takes months, if not years to amass. It's a load of shit. Regardless, we've got an hour and half before you're going to be called, Bella. It's lunchtime. Do you want me to order something? Or raid the vending machines?"

"I'm not hungry," I answered honestly. "Too nervous."

"You need to eat something," Edward chided. "You barely at dinner and we didn't have much time for breakfast. Phil, if you're willing...?"

"I've already called Panera," Brianne said. "A huge spread of food will be here in ten minutes."

"I knew I hired you for a reason," Phil smirked. He plopped down and pulled out his own laptop, looking over documents and information. Edward took my hand, leading me to the window. He enfolded me in his arms and I pressed my ear to the steady beat of his heart. We stayed entangled until Brianne got the phone call that the food was here. Carlisle, Jasper and Phil left the room while Alice and Rose went to the bathroom.

Edward looked at me, his green eyes sparkling. "You're going to be fine, Little One. You're so strong," he murmured.

"You'll be in there, right?" I asked, my voice sounding tiny.

"If I could, I'd be on the stand with you," he chuckled, kissing my lips chastely. "But, that's not proper protocol." I rolled my eyes and hobbled over to my computer. My leg was bothering me due to the steadily falling rain outside. Shutting it down, I slipped it in my messenger bag. Phil, Jasper and Carlisle came back into the conference room, setting up an impromptu buffet. Edward made a plate for the both of us. I sat on his lap, sharing the salad, sandwich and soup. I really didn't want to eat much since I was so anxious, but I forced the food down my throat, saving most of it for Edward.

After lunch, Phil went over what to expect in the courtroom. He was very calm and patient with me, explaining the process of being sworn in and asking questions. I'd already gone over the question he'd planned on asking me. All of it was related to my abduction and being held captive for five days, enduring five days of torture, starvation and mindfuckery. The bailiff came in and said that the recess was almost over. The room emptied out and I was left inside with Edward.

"Just breathe, Bella. You're strong and Aro can't hurt you," Edward said quietly, taking my face into his warm hands. "You can do this. I'm so proud of you and I love you very much."

"Thank you for being my rock, Edward," I said, wrapping my hands around his wrists. "I love you more than words can express." He smiled crookedly, leaning down to kiss me. What I expected was soft and sweet. But, Edward gave me searing hot. His mouth was urgently moving with mine and his tongue tangled in my mouth. I whimpered, clawing at his now disheveled hair. He bent down, picking me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist, hungrily pawing at his body. He held me up against the wall, pulling back. "Wow," I panted out.

"Remember that while you're on the stand, Little One," he whispered, his voice breathy and uneven. "Regardless of what Aro is doing or what is said in there, I'll be here for you." He kissed me deeply once more before setting me on my feet.

Unsteadily, I gripped his arms. "You took my breath away," I chuckled. He smiled crookedly and kissed me chastely before leaving me in the conference room with the court officer.

A/N: Bella's testimony is next, then the verdict from the jury. Leave me some!

lan�#�)՝�