Chapter One-Hundred Sixty-Four

Twilight...not mine (sigh).

Chapter 164

EPOV

Bella was being released today. She had spent an additional week in Virginia Mason, recuperating from her second surgery on her leg. The original hospital in Portland paid for her second surgery since it was due to their employees not reading her chart that caused that operation. They were still hoping that there was not going to be a malpractice suit. Unlikely. I already have a report typed up and paperwork filed, douchebags. A friend of mine who works in Seattle was taking the case, free of charge.

Bella would not have to worry about money for the rest of her life thanks to his help. Jason Jenks was the weasliest lawyer I'd ever known but he had a perfect record. When I told him about what had happened along with Charlie's description of their 'care,' Jason squealed and was at the courthouse within a few hours. The hospital, the orderlies, Dr. Shaw and Dr. Cope were all being sued for medical malpractice, negligence and unlawful restraint. The amount he put down was astronomical but based on how quickly the hospital was willing to settle out of court, fair in the eyes of the hospital administrators.

Upon her release, Bella wanted to go back to her house, but the stairs posed a problem. She was going to have to stay in a wheelchair for a month to allow proper healing of her leg. Her house had a great deal of stairs. Even on the main floor. We were going to try it, but my condo was going to be considered as a backup. My 2000 ft. three-bedroom condo was all one floor without any stairs. Plus, when Charlie is back in the federal penitentiary in Sheridan, she couldn't be on her own.

The DNA test was still pending. Bella was anxious to know if Aro was lying or telling the truth.

The press was hovering outside of the hospital, desperately wanting a statement from Bella. Carlisle, Jasper and I were dressed in our 'Fed-wear' as Alice dubbed it. I was wearing a gray suit, a white shirt and red tie. I had my badge clipped to my belt, my gun holstered to my side and an ear-piece. We were acting as protection for Charlie, Bella and Emmett. They couldn't say anything to the press since it was an active investigation. Our administrative leave was complete and we all were back on active duty. I was still seeing my bureau shrink and would be for a long time. Dr. Molina was amazing and I formed an instant bond with him.

Carlisle was speaking to Bella and Charlie about the vultures parked outside of the exit of the hospital. I could tell that Bella was panicking. Her eyes were wide with shock and she was twisting her braid nervously. Also, I think part of it was vanity, too. Bella was always about looking her best. Whenever we went out, she looked flawless with coordinating clothes, shoes, makeup and jewelry. Now? She was wearing a pair of my pajama bottoms, a matching top, her heart pendant and minimal makeup. Plus, she had her right leg sticking out in front of her, encased in plaster. I tried to make her feel better by giving her a pedicure. She told me to not quit my day job.

The nail polish was supposed to go onto the toes, not the skin surrounding the toes.

You try and do that! It's hard.

"Carlisle, I just got word that there are a ton of reporters outside of the del Cigno home," Jasper said.

"We'll have to use the decoy," Carlisle grumbled. "Emmett, Jasper and Alice will go to the house while Edward, Bella, Charlie and me will go to his condo."

"But, I want to go home," Bella sniffled. Tears threatened to fall down on her cheeks.

"You will, but let's let the hype die down," Carlisle soothed.

"If it's any consolation, Carino's in my condo," I said. Bella looked at me, a twinkle in her eyes. "She misses you."

"Edward, we have two identical SUVs. Alice is being put into costume and we'll be ready to roll in fifteen minutes," Rose chirped in my ear. "I'll be with Ali."

I chuckled, pressing my ear piece. "No, you just want to be with Emmett."

"What? Do you blame me?" Rose laughed. "He's hot for a quasi-criminal."

"He was not charged with anything, Rosalie Hale," I admonished. "And I wouldn't know if he's hot or not. I'm straight. I like girls."

"No, you like one girl. The one you rescued, Casanova," Rose replied, her smile evident. "Tell Carlisle about the change in plans. We'll inform all of you when we're good to go. Got it?"

"Don't ride Emmett too hard, Agent Hale," I quipped.

"Don't make me hug you," she threatened before she disappeared from my head. I shuddered as I told Carlisle about the decoy plan. Alice came in, wearing an identical outfit to Bella's and she wore a wig. She handed Emmett clothes that were similar to Charlie's along with two baseball caps. Emmett changed and it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to work with the decoy. Emmett was as tall as Charlie, but easily more muscular than him. It wasn't ideal, but it was going to have to do.

Rose contacted all of us and said that the decoy plan was in full affect. Alice, Jasper and Emmett were leaving first. Once we got confirmation from Rose that the press were following them, Charlie, Bella, Carlisle and I were going to my condo. It took longer than anticipated but we got the go ahead to go to the other SUV. Loading Bella into the backseat, Charlie sat next to her while Carlisle was in the passenger seat. I needed to drive since I had the swipe card to get the SUV into the parking garage.

The route I took was long and winding. I wanted to ensure that I was not being tailed and thankfully, I wasn't. Rose had texted Carlisle, explaining that the press took the decoy perfectly. I had pulled into my parking garage, swiping us in and parking next to my Volvo.

Taking Bella out of the car and walking to the private elevator, we rode up to my condo on the twenty-fifth floor. My condo was above a Westin Hotel. I had gotten a great deal on it, as it was a foreclosure. Opening the door to my home, I felt nervous. No one, besides my family, had been in here. Now, I had two houseguests for the foreseeable future.

My stomach was in knots.

A/N: I promise you, I won't forget about the DNA test. Pictures of Edward's condo are on my blog and tumblr. It's a sweet place. Leave me some!