Chapter 26 | You're An Idiot

Start from the beginning

Her face was baffled and she blinked as if my words had become a fallen eyelash in her eye. "Magic?" She repeated, unsure of the word she was tasting. "Are you asking me if I believe in fairies, wizards, and dragons? I mean, I did believe in the tooth fairy and santa-"

"No, I mean something that is above our reality, something. . . supernatural," I poorly tried to explain.

Hazel raised an eyebrow in a brilliant line, but also in a critical way. "Should I call Dean and Sam Winchester for you?"

I love her references, but goddammit I'm getting a bit frustrated here.

"No, I mean. . . you know, something not normal, some. . . unexplainable or just unnatural-"

"If you're asking me if I believe that the impossible can be possible," Hazel started and looked me in the eye. "Then yes. Yes, I do."

That wasn't really what I was asking, but close enough.

I nodded to her words, letting it sink in. "Okay, thanks for the. . . bizarre answer."

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah, your bizarre question is very welcome. By the way, why do you ask or better yet; why do you seem so troubled about the entire question?"

Although it was quite easy to catch on to the clear oddness that surrounded this conversation, Hazel's ability to point out if something is out of order is remarkable. Even the little things that even you don't notice is something she can see, and she will follow that thin thread, hold onto it until she reaches the end of it.

Her great observation skills were both a curse and a gift. Sometimes you wished she would just leave things unsolved, just let it go, you know? Sure, there are times where Hazel smells the suspicion but doesn't go into the depth of it, however, that's the times where she knows I will come forward and explain.

But on the other hand, it's a beautiful gift that should have been installed in every person, because Hazel knows when you're in trouble.
If you're drowning, she will give you a hand, if you're afraid to go into the water, she will help you overcome that fear, and if she doesn't find you by the water, she will look for you and make sure that you're safe and sound.

In other words; Hazel is that kind of a person that will walk through fire, walk on shards of glass just for you. She will also push you, break down your walls to see whatever you're hiding, to figure out the words you're afraid to say.

But at the same time, she is patient and loyal, and she trusts you to talk to her if there's something important.

And that's why I feel like I'm betraying her. She gives me the sky, and in return, I deceive her by bringing her dust.

"Elena?" Hazel called out my name, breaking my train of thoughts and bringing my attention to her. Those hazel eyes were like shining stars; alive and filled with nothing but light, and I can see the glimmering trust she has for me. The trust I do not deserve.

My stomach twisted because of the guilt that clawed my organs. It's not fair.

"Hazel, I need to tell-" Just as I was about to reveal the secret that would cost me deeply, a car horn cut off my sentence and the night's tranquility in the process.

Our heads whipped towards the source, but the lights from the vehicle prevented us from identifying the driver.

"Hey, guys!" However, I didn't need to see the face to recognize the familiar voice.

I shared a look with my friend before letting my eyes land on the car that slowly pulled up to us. And not surprisingly enough did I find Adam in the passenger seat with his friend driving.