Chapter L

We never understand the pain of losing a parent. This pain is amplified by losing both. You realise they'll never see you wed or hold your graduation.

If your like me, they'll never see my graduation or my coronation and see my brothers grow up.

They would be trapped looking down on us and we'd only have the memories from years before and the sudden realisation we'd make no more with them.

Since we were all technically children the Bennetts came around to check on us frequently and Evie, Harry and Jem came in rotation to make sure we were okay. Everybody from the pack bought food.

From lasagnes to pies.

We were barely functioning and people skirted around the topic of my coronation something which barely registered as important.

My days consisted on a rotation of five things: school, eating, sleeping, crying and binge watching Netflix.

Perhaps I could close my eyes and it would be just a nightmare.

At least you can escape one of those created by the imagination.

---

When the calendar flipped to May my brother Godric had turned seventeen and I was close to eighteen and to a coronation.

The coronation needed to happen and my pack although were sympathetic knew that I needed my role to become official and so did Harry's. The pack was still displeased, calling him a tyrant or even a bastard king.

It hardly made sense to me.

But they knew that the mate bond couldn't be severed and that they needed to suck it up and they knew their Queen wouldn't be able to continue if her mate was removed from his title or the world.

They knew that I'd evoke all kinds of hell to anyone that did that.

The coronation was to be on a brisk Saturday in the middle of May and I was watching the event come together, flowers being placed everywhere and the dark draperies that would cover the pack house. Their were also lanterns brought in to illuminate the space.

I stood there watching it all, still donning dark colours although my dress had embroidered flowers on it; the first signs of colour I had for weeks.

"Abigail?" I turned to see Tia whom I hadn't seen for ages. "Please Tia not now I am too exhausted to be rude to you" I said turning back to the preparations. "No no Abby, I just wanted to say I'm sorry... about your parents and I was going to tell you that I was leaving your pack at the end of next year, it's time I went home" I widened my eyes, I didn't think she'd leave. I had hoped she would but I never thought she'd actually do it.

"Why?" 

"I haven't found my mate here, maybe he's waiting for me back home. Besides I miss my sister and my family"

"What about Hugo, isn't he your mate?" I watched Tia shake her head. "No he's just well...I don't know" I sighed and for the first time I saw Tia's confident exterior falter.

"Tia? Maybe you'd like to sit with Harry, Tia, Jem, Evie and my brothers at the coronation feast. I'm sure we could at least start this new part of my life with some pleasantries" I saw her face contort in shock.

"I'd like that" I smiled slightly at her, maybe we'd never be close but I still realised I needed to hold close the people I know and if push came to shove I didn't want Tia harmed.

"Now if you'd excuse me I need to tell those wolves that I don't want those tablecloths, I don't want too much black. Maybe the time for all that is coming to a close" I smiled again and I think I was starting to feel like myself again.

----

Come Saturday I could see the pack streaming into the pack house and I was standing outside, not bringing myself to walk in.

"Hey sweetheart you okay?" I heard Harry walk up beside me and lace his fingers through mine. I could see he was wearing the watch I got him and he looked regal in his suit and he had combed his hair but I hated it neat. Wordlessly I reached and messed up hair earning me protests.

"Abby! I just got it flat" he tried to smooth it but I would stubbornly mess up it again. "I know it looks better messy though" Harry smiled and shook his head at me. "Your nervous?" He asked me and I shrugged but truthfully I wasn't sure.

"Are you?" And Harry turned pink which I took as a yes.

Harry suddenly pulled me into a hug and I enveloped myself deeper into him. I was safe there. As Harry was about to bend down and kiss me we heard the shriek of Evie. "There will be plenty time for that you two, we've got a queen to crown" Evie pulled me  along with her while Jem and Harry walked behind us.

Inside was exactly as I had envisioned it. Dark draperies lit up by the lanterns and lights. Bright flowers on the tables and at Tia's suggestion that we use dove grey table cloths.

I liked it.

As I entered everybody parted as Harry and I walked down the centre up the the makeshift stage they had created. I could see the crown lying on a pillow which reminded me slightly of homecoming.

That felt like a lifetime ago.

As we walked up to the stage, I could see Jem follow and stand beside me. He was to be my second in command and of course this coronation was for him as much as Harry and myself. Clinton Yale was the one officiating the ceremony today and I almost felt tears prick the corners of my eyes but I ignored it.

"Today we will be celebrating the coronation of Abigail Pearl Gilbert and her mate Harrison Ben Grace. These two will rule our pack with the gentleness of our goddess for our friends, the ferocity of our wolves within against our enemies and the knowledge of our customs like our ancestors before us." Everybody made low respectful murmurs.

"Do you both agree to these vows?"

"We do" Harry and I said in unison. Wordlessly the crowns were placed on our heads as Harry and I both stood up and walked to the edge of the stage.

"Welcome your new Queen and consort of the Violets!" Clinton called and we both bowed slightly as all the wolves let out a wolf in respect. For the risen Queen and the fallen.

"Now we celebrate!" I called into the crowd and as I stepped down the stairs Malachi walked up to me. His expression frightened.

"Malachi what's wrong?" I asked him touching his shoulder. "He-he's hear" he stuttered "who's here?" I asked him bending down a bit so our eyes were level.

"The wolf, the one behind the hood he's here"

------

Now the story will pick up the pace from here and I expect Howler to go for another five chapters maximum

L xx