Chapter VIII

"Abby come on tell me what happened!" Evie kept harassing me ever since Tia revealed I invited Harry out for coffee. Evie had pestered me for almost two days her voice a mixture of pity and nosiness.

Harry hadn't set a date yet for our... whatever you call it. I had felt a bit sick but honestly I was also really excited. I pulled my red leather jacket out of my locker, getting ready to go home when I was met face to face with Harrison Grace. "Hey..." he stepped in front of me, stopping me from moving. "I wanted to set a time for our dinner?" I gasped but composed myself quickly "when were you thinking?"

"Tonight, 7:00? I'll see you at my place" I didn't have time to respond before he walked away, hands in his pockets. I wanted to squeal and I also wanted to panic. I had to get home and get ready and just scream.

I drove home, music blaring over the stereo and me running through my wardrobe mentally... the white dress? Too fancy, pink t-shirt and jeans? Too casual. God this is difficult. As soon as I got home I changed into my sweats and starting flicking through my closet - again.

"No...no...no...NO!" I flopped down on the bed and groaned loudly. "Wow big sis, bad day?" Ric leant against the doorframe laughing at the site before him. "Yeah, no! I don't know. I'm going out to dinner with this guy and..." I trailed off and stared absently into the wardrobe. "Why are you going out with a guy that isn't your mate!?"
"....Because he is my mate"
"Oh that's great! What packs he from?" Ric looked so excited but I had to break it. "He's not in a pack Godric"
"Oh a rogue how cool! We've never had a rogue king before wait till I tell Mal..."
"No he's not a rogue" I watched the confusion paint Ric's face and then horror. "Oh Abby no..."
"I don't want to talk about it, don't you dare tell mum or dad! Now can you go? I need to get ready" I pushed him wordlessly out the door and I sighed heavily, collapsing onto my bed.

I had to get ready in more ways than one.

---

I had finally decided on an outfit, a black knit cropped sweater with a purple skirt and black boots. I had felt like this was reality appropriate and once I was satisfied i headed for the door.

Thankfully no one was around so all I had to do was slip out.

I checked my phone and saw I still had some time so I walked into town to buy a thank you gift (a hospitable gesture that my mother had drilled into me since I was young). I had eventually chosen a box of chocolates which seemed appropriate I suppose. It was quite dark when I stepped out of the grocery store and if I didn't turn into a wolf on command, I would have been afraid (that full moon stuff only applied to wolves we bite, not those with wolf genetics)

I started to walk, my footsteps echoing through the streets when I spotted Harry himself walking in the opposite side of the road - presumably returning from work. I was about to call out to him when I saw him suddenly be grabbed by something and pulled in to the pathway which I knew led into a small patch of bushland that led to the woods.

"Oh my god" I sprinted to where I saw him, panting loudly and listening intently for his heartbeat. "Oh god where are you Harrison?" I realised I was now standing in the bush now and then I saw him and something else. A large dark wolf was growling menacingly at Harry who was backing away from him, a large bite mark on his shoulder which Harry was covering with his hand to no avail.

I no choice on what to do next.

I sprinted towards him and shifted mid jump and with every ounce of speed and strength stood protectively in front of Harry, growling at the intruder.

The problem with werewolf form was that we could telepathically communicate with one another, didn't matter if you were a pack or a rogue we could always communicate because we were united by the common dominator of being 'cursed'.

"Well, well if it isn't the future Queen of the Violets herself ?" The stranger spoke, even in telepathically form his voice was taunting. "Who are you? What are you doing in my territory!?"
"So many questions, but you interrupted my kill and that's just not very nice"
"STAY AWAY FROM HIM"
"Your very protective over this little human, why is that?" His voice was simpering and chilling and it took all my strength not to cower. "that's none of your concern, now answer my questions"
"Oh dear does the little queen have a human mate? Oh your just making it too easy to take everything away from you Abigail" I growled at him at thought of him touching my mate. "Fine then, I'll find a new play thing but remember this , I'll be back little queen" I watched the intruder skulk away and I turned to Harry who was shaking at the mere sight of me. I whimpered and lowered my head and without even a second thought pushed my head under Harry's arm to help him stand and pushed him along until we met the lights of the city.

I saw Harry stare at me, he was afraid and I whimpered at him. I could hear how heavy his heartbeat was. He was so scared of me and I didn't blame him.

I wandered away from him slightly as he continued to keep eye contact as he disappeared, still clutching his shoulder in agony. It made me realise his humanity and my lack of it would put him in danger.

How could I keep him safe?