Denmark x Reader: It's going to be okay

You couldn't stand it, you couldn't take watching as the man you loved broke. He had tried so hard to win the war, to keep those he considered friends, yet he lost. He lost everyone he cared for, everyone that is, except you. If he ever lost you, he was certain he'd die the moment it happened. You couldn't stop the tears that pricked at your eyes as you watched Denmark cry to the heavens, demanding answers.

     You slowly walked to your wailing friend and lover, the snow crunching under your boots. Your legs felt numb, in fact, everything felt numb. Your heart felt especially numb. Yes, you could clearly feel your heart breaking for and with Denmark. But, for some reason, you didn't feel anything at all about the fact all your friends left you and Denmark.

     "Matthias." You numbly whispered, having arrived right by his side. None of this was ever supposed to happen. You both shouldn't have had to lose your friends. Neither of you should have been forced to feel this over-powering pain. "Matthias." You whispered again with more force, your heart, mind, and voice regaining some consciousness. All he did was bury his face in his hands.

     Kneeling down you cautiously reached out a hand and gently grabbed one of Matthias' wrists, afraid if you were to quick or rough he might break completely. "Matthias. I know this is no source of comfort, and it's a numb reply, but it's all I can manage with this numbness in my heart and mind... but I know, somehow, that this will all work itself out. That everything will be okay in the end, and we'll regain our friends. I don't know how or when, but we'll do it. I- It's going to be okay." You said, your hand slipping from Matthias' wrist and into his hand, lacing your fingers together.

     Matthias finally turned to look at you, his eyes full of tears. If it was possible, your heart would have broken even more. He said nothing, but his grip on your hand tightened, not enough to hurt you but enough to let you know he wasn't letting go anytime soon. The look that was in his teary eyes read that no matter what he wasn't ever going to lose you. Not that you ever wanted him to, you didn't want to leave him either. In one swift movement his hand was no longer in yours and you were pressed into his chest in a tight and firm hug. "Thank you."