𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗜𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟱

Valerie's POV

Valerie's POV

"Miss Perkins can you please go print out these papers...your work is behind" My boss Mr. Kevin says.

Mr. Kevin was an old man with crooked teeth and a bald head that you could see reflecting from the ceiling his head was that shiny.

I've been working for his company for about 3 years. I'm only here so I could get that promotion for Vogue. If I do my project right for their modeling gig, I'll be able to move up and be done with being a secretary for this man.

I walk into the printing room while I felt an emotion of sadness take over me as I print the paperwork. Nothing was going as I planned for my life.

Later that day I was on Instagram and saw that my old friends were doing good for themselves especially Abel. He has been on my mind for a while.

A year ago my dad died. I barely had anyone to console me other than my aunt. I still needed Abel's presence at that difficult time when I didn't have any friends and barely any family support.

It was hard trying to reach out to Abel because he was busy with his music career so I gave up.

I felt alone before I met my best friends Raegan, Crystal, Sage, Amber, Leigh and my boyfriend Sam. It was always Abel that I confided in when I couldn't handle tough times.

As a Libra I always needed genuine people around in order for me to handle those tough times.

Before my father and I moved to the U.S. money was getting low. At that time I didn't know it was because medical bills were too high in Toronto.

My aunt and a few of his first cousins who live in Long Beach, California helped my father with a plan to move to the U.S. and receive government assistance.

We did have my family's support but it was always my aunt that kept in touch when we lived in Toronto.

The rest of my family I barely knew them because it was always just my dad and I.

I just kept myself guarded when it came to my father's family except for my aunt.

There was a reason why I felt this way. When my father and I moved to Long Beach, it didn't feel so welcoming like I thought it would.

I just felt like we were a burden to them....

From then on I kept my distance from majority of those people. If I don't feel like someone is 100% genuine towards me, I'm not going to force a relationship.

Yes; I thank them for helping us settle here in California, but that was all majority of them did. They didn't call or even give us a text, until it was time to bury him.