December 1st-Battery Operated-Sam

You huddled closer to San, the flickering of the candles softly illuminating his face. His hand stroked your bare arm, his touch cool against your warm skin.
The power had been out in your neighbor hood for most of the day, the hot summer heat becoming bearable later at night. The two of you had stayed inside, playing mind numbing board games that occasionally became fun, and sipping ice cold soft drink from the fridge. But as the sun went down, the two of you huddled together under the veranda of your home and stargazed, picking out constellations here and there.  

His arm was wrapped around your shoulder, your around his waist and pulling him closer. The candle illuminated his features, from the dimples when he smiled, the the sparks in his eyes when he looked at you. You were happy in this moment, even though you were disgustingly sweaty and had itchy eyes from the heat. 

As the clock hit 11, and the house had now become cool enough for you to sleep in the two of you headed inside, slowly changing into night time wear. Slipping off his shirt and changing into sweatpants, Sam headed towards the bathroom, turning on the battery operated torch to see what he was doing. You heard the tap turn on, the brushing of teeth, and then to your surprise, some quiet swearing from your boyfriends mouth. All of a sudden the bathroom went pitch black, the torch batteries burning out.  A toothpaste covered toothbrush still in his mouth, he walked out of the bath room with an annoyed look on his face, earning a laugh from you. He took the tooth brush from his mouth sending a glare to you, before shuffling back into the bathroom. Bumping into numerous objects on his way to the sink, you heard muffled swearing and then finally, the tap running again. 

You slid under the sheets of your bed, the material cold to touch. Sam stumbles out of the bathroom, wiping his face with the back of his hand, before crawling underneath the sheets beside you. His arm wrapped around waist as you placed your head on his bare chest. Your legs tangled together and he kissed the top of your head multiple times.

"You think the power will come back on tomorrow?" He asks, his hand drawing patterns on your skin. 

"Hopefully, we've got a fridge full of food. Can't let it go to waste." He sighs holding you closer to his body. 

With those final words the two of you fall asleep, the slight hum of the cicadas like a lullaby.  

In the morning, the two of you woke to the power being on again, rejoicing  that no food would go to waste, and that you would have fans to cool you down. But inside you stayed again, it being to hot to go out side, due to the Australian Summer.

---------------------------------

1st day of December writing challenge done- Battery Operated. 

Hoped you guys liked this little piece of work I whipped up on a Thursday afternoon. I'm in the midst of decorating a home made ginger bread house, and setting up my house for Christmas. Right now, requests are on hold, just so I can get this challenge done.

Thanks.

Vote, comment and save.

Will x