Chapter 20

Dani's POV

An hour later, I found myself sitting next to Jordan on the couch in his room eating a burger. At the moment, he was laughing at me for eating like a guy. "Geez, Dani! If you keep eating, I'm not going to even have a chance to put something in my mouth!"

I raised my hands up as a peace offering. "There, go ahead. Grab some food."

"I don't know. Promise to not eat my fingers?"

I threw a couple of fries at him as he threatened to squirt ketchup at me. "Don't you dare! Jordan, I'm warning you!"

"I'm kidding. I'm kidding!" he whisper yelled. "Calm down; my parents are actually in the house this time."

"Sorry, sorry. I forget." Our little argument fell into a silence while me and Jordan stared at each other. After a few more seconds, we both burst into fits of laughter. These were the moments I loved with him. I could just be myself around him. It was easy. Soon, we were done eating and resulted to just sitting on the couch and watching TV. I found myself gazing at him intently, and not in a creeper sort of way, but in a curious sort of way. I was noticing everything about him that I never noticed before. The way his jaw line was strong, but not too strong. The way his single dimple deepened every time he smiled; and the thing I found the most amazing: the way his sparkling blue-green eyes matched the color of beautiful waves at shore....Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm starting to sound like one of those pathetic girls in those cheesy love stories. Ugh... Slowly turning away, I noticed the guitar I had found out he had in the corner of his room, tucked away slightly. He must've forgotten to put it away after he was done with it. Before I could stop them, a jumble of words flew out of my mouth. "What did you mean about that song being for me?" Crap, I really shouldn't have asked that. He looked at me blankly before answering.

"What do you mean?" But of course, I kept going.

"That song, the one that you were singing last night."

"What about it?"

He knew what I meant, I know he did. That's why I just stared at him for a few seconds, egging him to tell me.

He sighed to himself quietly. "I said...sang all that stuff because, well... Dani, you're my best friend. You mean the world to me. You're my everything and I would even die for you as long as it meant that you were safe and still mine."

As soon as he said that, I felt my face burn like fire. It probably looked like fire, too. I instantaneously jumped on him and gave him a fierce hug, accompanied by a gentle kiss on the cheek.

Jordan's POV

I could see how red Dani was turning and was slowly smiling to myself as she jumped on me. I nearly fell off the bed with the amount of force she had as she hugged me. Then, out of nowhere, she planted a gentle kiss on top of my cheek. It burned almost immediately. Where had that come from? I must admit, it felt...good? Even though it was just meant to be a small one as a thank you, it made me want to ask Dani why. Why had she kissed me? But, I already knew the answer to that. She had meant it as nothing more than friends. I finally decided to just let it be as I stared into her chocolate brown eyes, the end of her hair tickling my face as it fell forwards. "Thank you, but can I ask you a favor?"

"Always."

"Can you sing it again? This time to me and not while I'm dead asleep and snoring?"

I laughed along with her and nodded. I wrapped my arms around her waist and rolled her off the couch and onto the floor in one smooth motion. "Well, throw me to the floor why don't you." she said sounding mock offended. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, standing up to go grab my guitar. I made my way back over to where she was sitting and sat next to her on the floor. I looked at Dani for a moment before starting to run the tips of my fingers over the strings on the delicate instrument. Then, I sang, trying to not notice how she stared at me throughout the song.

When I see your smile

Tears run down my face

I can't replace

And now that I'm stronger I've figured out

How this world turns cold

And breaks through my soul

And I know, I'll find deep inside me

I can be the one

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

I'll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to Heaven

It's okay, it's okay, it's okay

Seasons are changing and waves are crashing

And stars are falling all for us

Days grow longer and nights grow shorter

I can show you, I'll be the one

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

I'll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to Heaven

'Cause you're my, you're my, my

My true love, my whole heart

Please don't throw that away

'Cause I'm here for you

Please don't walk away

And please tell me, you'll stay, stay

Use me as you will

Pull my strings just for a thrill

And I know, I'll be okay

Though my skies are turning gray

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

I'll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to Heaven

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

I'll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to Heaven

I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

Dani's POV

He blew me away. I couldn't believe that this amazing song he wrote was for me. The lyrics were so... so real. I had never seen this part of him, It was deep and sensitive and reminded me of how I felt when we had some of our more serious talks and conversations; it was just rolled into a song. It reminded me of one of our text conversations we had had not too long ago. I really don't know how it started, but it had and it was about him careing for me. It sounds stupid, I know, but it was deep and real just like this song. "Oh my gosh. You're amazing. It was amazing, the song I mean. When did you write this?"

He looked at me sheepishly and answered. "Well, I didn't exactly write it. Last night, I was still kind of upset with all this Luke stuff, so I sang. Words just came to me."

I hugged him one last time, and that's the last thing I remember before falling asleep in his arms.