Prologue

Please please please please comment. Please.

-----*-------*------

Prologue

What do we have that is truly our own? Something that is belongs to us and will stay ours forever?

Our possessions maybe? No. Those belong to someone else. They belong to our parents or to the government - if you live in a communistic society per say. And before you say something smart like "I bought them myself", consider this: Where did that money come from? Your parents, right? And even before that, they got it from their employers, and before that, their employers employers. Possessions are not unique either. They are mass-produced and even if you've added your own personal "flare" with a button or a ribbon, someone else is still bound to have that same shirt or couch as you. And if you think about it, our things can be repossessed or given away. Sometimes people even pay to have them taken.

Well, then how about our homes? No, even then, we spend most of our lives trying to pay off an unreasonably huge loan we originally made with the bank just to have full ownership of the structure. Most people never fully fulfill their mortgage anyway. Some people are even evicted. We can paint rooms and add furniture, but in the end, we move out and the house becomes someone else's place of living.

How about our cars? Nope. You may have the freedom to name your car, paint it a different colour or decorate it with useless accessories like the popular choice of fuzzy dice but it's still not yours. You have to pay a huge amount of money every month just to be able to take it out of the garage.

What about our knowledge? Surely that's ours. Maybe you'd say, "The things we know are one of the most important things that we can ever have". And it's true. Where would society be today if we hadn't learned something from our conflicts? We would just end up where we started, fighting for food and grunting like Neanderthals. But is it really ours? Can we put our initials on it and say that we discovered it or that we will be the only person in the world to have that knowledge? No. We can't. And for that, it isn't really specifically our own. Lessons are passed down from generation to generation, through legends, text books, even the odd television show. Anyone can have access to intelligence, and so it is not truly ours.

What about our names? Not even then. You can change your name, fake your name, take someone else's name... Most people even share names. How many Sarah's or Josh's do you know? That's not ours either, even though we might think it so.

Okay, so what about our memories?

Memories - now that's something to think about. Our memories. Everyone's memories are different, looping and circling around their past. They dance with knowledge, what we've learned or what we might have thought. They cloud our brains and change our opinions. They twist and turn throughout our thoughts - whether we want them to or not. We remember what we smelled, what we tasted, what we wore, who we talked to... We remember everything significant in our lives and sometimes we even remember little trivial details like our cousin's favourite colour. Little details that make up our lives; that's what memories are.

In my opinion, they are the only thing that we have to ourselves for our whole lives. It's the only thing we can share with a person but still have a unique view upon. No one has the same memories, and no one ever will. Memories can be shared through photographs or stories but even then, they still belong to their rightful owner.

Memories are the one thing that we can honestly say belong to ourselves.

And they were the one thing that car crash robbed me of.

-------*--------*-------- Author's Note-------*--------*--------

Hi guys! I'm going to start writing the AN at the bottom just so you guys don't get mad at me for taking up so much room at the top, before the story starts. I figure you'd be more likely to read it when you're satisfied than if you're impatient and excited.

So here's the story that I promised. This is the very first chapter (prologue, in fact) and I would really appreciate some comments. I'm not crazy about how my writing style is changing while I'm trying to write this story and I would really appreciate some constructive critism because I know I'm still not at the professional level.

Also, I'm not crazy about the cover. I would really appreciate it if you guys would try making a cover for me because I'm not that good and I'm dissatisfied. Help!

Ok, before you guys start insanely messaging me that it sounds exactly like that new movie called "The Vow", I know. I could not be more disappointed. I swear ON MY LIFE that I was planning this story even before I heard about the movie! I promise you; I even pinky promise! I can also promise that this is not a story about a husband convincing his wife to re-fall in love with him. That's just so sappy!

In any other news, you guys are awesome. And please be patient with me because school is lots of work and although I will try my hardest to update regularily, it's going to be hard.

Thanks!

Yours truly,

Hannah-vo