Chapter-26

ZAYN

When Nova was admitted after her attack, I had made sure that she would receive the best medical attention that the U.K could provide, while management took care of making everything private.

If I ever wanted to visit Nova, it had to be done in the early hours of the morning, so waking up at 3am to see her was not new to me.

'You really don't have to come', I said as I watched my Mum brush her hair. Dad was still asleep and so she was trying to make less noise as she got ready.

'Yes I do, she's like a daughter to me, Zayn', she said and I sighed as I met her stern look through her dressing mirror's reflection.

'Zayn', she said and came up to me.

I looked down at her as she took my face in her hands.

'Have courage', she said.

'I try Mum. I try every single second of the day to imagine her by my side. As if she were healthy and well', I said and I felt my eyes sting a bit.

'I know you do sweetheart, but that's not what I meant', she said and I gave her a confused look.

'I know that things are looking dark now and that our chances of a full recovery are slim, which is why I want you to have the courage to believe that things can turn out well, even if it's not a fairy-tale miracle', she said.

'Isn't that a bit harsh?', I asked and she smiled.

'That's how the world works and through all of that all we need is a teaspoon of faith that allows us some light, even if it comes out faded', she said and I nodded.

'Are you going to see Nova?', asked a voice from behind me and I turned to find Safaa rubbing her eyes at me.

'Yeah', I replied and she smiled.

'Can I come too?', she asked and I looked at Mum as I was unable to give her an answer.

'Maybe next time sweetheart', she said and that made her pout.

I quickly bent down to her eyes and took her hands in mine, 'I'll make sure she knows that you miss her', I said and she smiled.

'Is it because it's still a secret?', she asked softly and I nodded as I swallowed the lump in my throat.

'I wish it wasn't', she said and I wrapped my arms around her.

'Me too', I said and tried to push away the memories that came along with it.

My sisters had grown very fond of Nova but it was Safaa who had the closest bond with her.

The day that they had both bonded was still engraved in my head, a day that still made my pulse race.

'But I want one, Zayn!', she whined and I shot her down with a stern look.

'It's just a popsicle', said Nova as we walked past the stores in L.A, along with Jake who was my escort.

'Yeah and I can't stand in a store without being ambushed by fans and paps', I said as I pulled down my snap back a bit more.

'As if that hat makes all the difference. I bet those girls over there have already tweeted your location', said Nova with a smirk.

'WHAT?!', I asked stunned and looked around frantically and found two girls staring at me.

The second they caught me looking at them, they started to squeal and scream.