Sandstorm

Suggested by: @EvilzAndCute

What If?: Sandstorm died in the battle with Scourge instead of Whitestorm?

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

Firstly, since Whitestorm was the deputy at the time, he would've continued that way for a longer time. Whitestorm was quite old anyway, so I doubt he would've made it to leader position, but this might've altered Firestar's deputy choices when he eventually died and may have stopped him from choosing Brambleclaw. 

The Darkest Hour was in the book before Firestar and Sandstorm travelled to rebuild SkyClan. If Sandstorm had died, Firestar would have perhaps braved the journey alone, or he would've taken Greystripe with him. This could've led to them dying, and supposing it was Greystripe he would've taken and he didn't survive, he would never have met Millie and Briarlight, Blossomfall and Bumblestripe wouldn't exist. Firestar might not have gone to SkyClan at all due to grief, meaning that the Clan wouldn't have been formed. Sandstorm also gave birth to Leafpool and Squirrelflight after the journey, and if she had died, she wouldn't have been able to do that. Leafpool was also named after Leafstar, and so if Firestar hadn't gone on the quest but later mated with another in the future, Leafpool's name would be different.

Whitestorm also played a big part in Firestar's curiosity towards SkyClan, shown in the white cat who was eventually shown to be Cloudstar visiting him. If Whitestorm hadn't died, perhaps he wouldn't have cared so much about it. 

Squirrelflight played a big part in the discovery of the new territory, and if she didn't exist, then maybe Brambleclaw would've died on the journey. Leafpool also influenced Crowfeather, and without her, he may have never gotten ever Feathertail and wouldn't have mated with Nightcloud, meaning Breezepelt wouldn't exist. Sandstorm heavily influenced the series from start til finish and if it had been her to lose her life instead of Whitestorm, we wouldn't have any of the characters such as Jayfeather, Lionblaze, Hollyleaf, Squirrelflight or Leafpool that we love.

Go Sandstorm, yeah, you make the books better.

Hazel