XVII: Ode to Protect

Start from the beginning

Either way, I couldn't complete this quest without Rin suffering as a result. Leaving her behind now, giving her back to Lady Kaede, would make her an open target. Tatsuo already knew about her. The saber wanted her. 

It was more important now that I protect her and not let her out of my sight. Tatsuo was unpredictable. It was easy when he just wanted my head, but not he wanted the one person I cared about most.

I needed to take care of him before he could get to Rin again. I couldn't let that happen again.

-

Rin

I shot up, my hand flying to my stomach, expecting blood to pool out and the most horrific pain of my life.

Only there was nothing. I was in a new set of clothes, the pain from my stomach gone. The only pain I felt was the burning sensation that I was now learning to numb out.

I smiled when I realized that I was wrapped in Lord Sesshomaru's cloak, his comforting scent calming my already restless nerves.

I glanced around, my surroundings similar to the room I had at the demon's castle.

Panic rose in me as the thought of him still being here ran through my mind. That last thing I remembered was Lord Sesshomaru's golden eyes looking at me across the room before I succumbed to darkness. 

My questions were answered when the door slid open, revealing the girl. The servant girl.

"You saved my life. You came back for me." I said in relief the moment she stepped inside. I remembered seeing her with Lord Sesshomaru, knowing she had brought him to me.

"It was the right thing to do." She said, giving me a small smile as she approached me. "How are you feeling?"

"Good. Surprisingly. Thank you." I said as she knelt down in front of me. "Is.. is the Lord of the Castle-"

"-he is gone. For now." She assured me.

"What is your name?"

"Lataya."

"Why don't you leave, Lataya?"

"He.. Lord Tatsuo saved my life, seven years ago."

That name.. Tatsuo... it sounded familiar, like I've heard it before in a dream.

My eyes widened, my jaw dropping as I came to the realization. 

Lord Tatsuo is a demon, a demon that saved this girl's life... It sounded like Lord Sesshomaru and myself. 

Except Lord Sesshomaru wasn't a sadistic, bloodthirsty killer, who only saved Lataya to just feed off of her.

Speaking of Lord Sesshomaru, where is he?

"Where's Lord Sesshomaru?"

"He's gone!! Lord Sesshomaru is gone!!!" Master Jaken answered my question when he barged in, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Master Jaken?"

He didn't even address me when he ran up to me. "He's gone! He's left us and A-un, again!!" He cried.

"What?! When?!" I took a hold of his face, in attempt to calm him down when I myself was also freaking out inside.

"He was just here an hour ago!"