Chapter 5

I stood at the very top of the stairs, listening to Bixlow tell Freed about us when we were kids. I could feel the tears running down my face and struggled to keep my sobs quiet.

I never wanted to leave him behind, but I had no choice. There was nothing else I could do. I didn't know I had put him through so much though. I feel bad about never telling him the truth.

But I can't get him involved in my problems. I don't want to put him in danger because of me. I took a moment to dry my eyes and compose myself before walking down the stairs. Bixlow and Freed immediately focused on me.

Bixlow straightened himself and said, "Freya, I-"

I cut him off by holding a hand up, signalling for him to be quiet. "I don't want to talk. I'm just waiting for Milo to get better."

I sat myself on the couch and leaned forward to look at the drawings on the coffee table in front of me. I noticed Bixlow come over and sit beside me, causing me to let out a quiet sigh.

"I'm glad you were telling the truth," he suddenly told me. "I didn't want to think that you of all people became a criminal."

I quickly replied, "Of course not. There is a reason for everything, Bixlow."

"Even a reason why you never came back and explained things?"

I turned my head away and quietly answered, "Yes."

"Then please, tell me why."

"Tell him! Tell him!"

I kept my face turned away and rubbed my arms uncomfortably. "I...I can't."

"But-"

"Just drop it, Bixlow," I told him sternly.

I heard him sigh and everything grew quiet. I heard footsteps and noticed Freed coming over. He stopped in front of the coffee table.

"Is this you in these pictures?"

I looked up at him and followed his gaze to the drawings on the table. I smiled slightly and picked one up.

"Yeah, Milo drew them. He's pretty good for his age."

Freed flashed me a small smile and picked up the picture Milo drew of me sleeping on the couch. "He is, and he seems to really like drawing you."

Our conversation was interrupted by Isla and Liam coming down the stairs. I immediately stood up as they walked over to me.

"How's he doing?" I asked with worry.

Isla smiled kindly and answered, "He's going to be fine. The medicine we made is already working. Now he just needs to rest."

Liam cut in and said, "We really can't thank you enough, Freya. You've done so much for us."

"It's no problem. I like being able to help those in need. But...I do think it's time I leave."

They both looked slightly surprised and Isla told me, "You don't have to go. You can stay here as long as you like."

I nodded sadly. "I know, but I really should get going. I've been here long enough."

"We should get going too," Freed said from behind me.

We went outside and I said my last goodbyes before turning to leave. But before I could take a step, a small voice stopped me.

"You're leaving?"

I spun around to see Milo standing there, peering up at me with sad eyes. I smiled and crouched down, placing my hands on his shoulders.

"Milo, you should be in bed."