Chapter 4

I chuckled as I emerged from the shadows at the edge of town. I quietly walked into the woods only to suddenly be surrounded by a strange barrier. I frantically looked around before hearing someone behind me.

I turned to see the two guys I bumped into earlier. The tall one with the floating totem things crossed his arms and grinned while sticking his tongue out.

"Looks like we caught our little thief!"

"Caught you! Caught you!" the little totem things repeated.

I quickly tried going back into the shadows at my feet, but for some reason I couldn't. The man with the light green hair frowned at me.

"You cannot use magic to escape the enchantment. The only way to get out is to follow the rules inscribed by me."

I watched runes appear on the walls around me and quickly read them. I tightened my grip on the book in my arms. Not only do they want me to give it to them, but they also want me to show my face.

I approached the barrier between me and them and hit my fist against it. "You don't understand! I need this book! Someone's life is at stake!"

The taller man suddenly said, "Yeah, likely story."

His totems yelled, "Liar! Liar!"

"I'm not lying! Please, you have to believe me! Let me go!"

"You're the only one keeping yourself in there," the green-haired man said.

I growled slightly and backed away. I slowly brought my hand up and slid my hood off my head, glaring at them as I did so. The taller man suddenly gasped, as if he were surprised by my appearance.

"No... I-It can't be..." he muttered. "F...Freya?"

I rose an eyebrow and asked, "Do I know you?"

He brought his hands up and removed the metal visor over his eyes and the tight hood over his head. I was the one to gasp this time while my eyes widened. I easily recognize that tattooed face and that black and blue hair.

"Bixlow?"

So that was a vision I had a while back. I was fated to meet Bixlow again. He eyed me and smiled slightly.

"You're...alive, and you're all grown up."

I frowned and narrowed my eyes. "Of course I'm alive. Now let me out of here."

"But, Freya...how are you here? What happened? Where did you go?"

I understand why he's asking so many questions. He must be very confused. But the less he knows and the less he's around me, the better. I don't want to put him in danger.

I coldly gazed up at his dark red eyes and said, "I don't have to tell you that. You want the stupid book? Fine."

I threw the book at the barrier, watching it go through and land at their feet before backing away. The barrier around me disappeared but I continued to stand in place. I noticed Bixlow and the other man glancing at each other before Bixlow picked the book up.

I was surprised when he held it out to me. "Here, take it. If you're telling the truth then you need it. But we're coming with you."

I quickly took the book from him and muttered a small "thank you" before turning and heading deeper into the woods. I could hear the two silently following behind me as I soon saw the small home.

I quickly went inside and rushed upstairs, leaving the two down in the living room. I went straight to Milo's room to see Isla and Liam still sitting beside his bed. I went over and handed them the book.