Chapter 116

The next day when Ravil checked his e-mail, he was absolutely appalled to find a message from...

Alina Larionova? 

He scowled. "Artem, come look at this!" 

Artem was at the bedroom door in an instant. "What is it?" He peered around the corner, interest flickering in his icy blue eyes. 

"Larionova...um, she e-mailed me, I think," Ravil tried to explain. 

"What the hell?" Artem asked, stepping into the room and legging it over to Ravil's desk. 

"She...she e-mailed me," Ravil mumbled, astounded. 

"Scan that thing to death before you even think about opening it." Artem warned. "She might be trying to trick you. Don't let her." 

Ravil scanned the e-mail several times with three different AV programs before opening it. 

The message said: 

Ravil, my son, I'm so sorry. I've fired Myron. I'm sorry. I should've never let him put you into the FSB's spy program. I don't know what else to say, or how to make this up to you. I love you. Please forgive me, my son. 

Ravil scoffed. He was supposed to believe this? Fat chance. He trashed the e-mail, then closed his browser. "I'm not buying it." 

"Me neither." Artem agreed. 

"And an apology isn't going to change anything now." Ravil said. Artem wondered if he was hearing a note of melancholy in his voice. "The deed's been done. I'm twenty-one years old now- I'm too far along to go back." 

"And she was a bit terse, don't you think?" Artem queried. "Didn't really say much." 

Ravil nodded, gliding away from his desk in his computer chair. "Still can't believe those devils are my parents." 

"Me neither. And I don't understand why they had to hide you." Artem added, watching as Ravil left the chair and headed for the door. "But it's over and done now, da? No point in dwelling in the past so much." 

"Agreed," Ravil said, leaving the room. Artem followed.