Chapter 47

Ravil stayed up all night planning his attack. He had one month until D-Day (that's what he was calling it now), and he had to plot his assault on the systems, write the code, and make sure it all worked. That was a lot to do in one month. But Ravil was confident that he could get it done. 

As of now, he was just planning, as previously mentioned. He was pretty sure that the Department's servers were airgapped, but he needed to be certain, so he'd check up on that later. As far as getting in, he had a few vague ideas in mind: 

1. Search for the Department's servers on the Deep Web and on the layer below it.  

2. Fake an e-mail address and claim to be an official. E-mail another official, slip a keylogger or other kind of monitor Trojan onto the servers and send it to retrieve any passwords he could find. From there, he could get into whatever he wanted for at least a month until they patched it. 

3. Mimic Stuxnet or agent.btz, figure out what operating system the Department servers used, then target it specifically. Write a virus or keylogger, target Windows systems at first. Worm his way up, auto-downloading new versions of the virus to keep the IT guys stumped, until he found some machines operating with the OS he was looking for, then get the keylogger on them. Proceed with all the passwords he'd ever need. Of course, this probably wouldn't work if the Department was airgapped, but worth a try, right? 

4. This method sounded most appealing to Ravil right now. He could break his computer's IP packets into smaller bits and attach them to legit e-mails going to the Department's servers, then reassemble them at the end of the line. Then he'd be in. He could leave his malware and keyloggers in the system, re-name them as some normal system file, and someone on the other end would inevitable run them, not knowing what they'd just done- and the truth of the matter would be that they had just handed their systems over to Russia. 

Ravil tilted his head back and gave a cackle, once again laughing at the stupidity of these Americans. They talked big, made themselves look formidable, but when it was business time- when all the alarms were screeching and blaring red, would they make it through? Of course not! They never did. This was the true American way: big mouths, but no spines. 

That was why it would be a piece of cake for Ravil to pry his way into these systems.