Chapter 79

After the FBI checked Artem's house and car and found no bugs, it was deemed safe for him to return. The only condition was that two armed guards would stand watch at every door, twenty-four hours a day. Artem was slightly unnerved by this, but was determined he'd get used to it. When Ravil returned, the guards would be replaced by remote surveillance, perhaps by drones, but Artem wasn't sure and he hadn't asked for all the details yet. 

Everett drove him back home that evening, and Artem really realized how empty and silent the house felt when Ravil was absent. Once Everett had left, Artem sat down on the couch and stared at the wall, not sure what to do or on what his focus should land. He didn't even notice the two SWAT agents standing by the door, claiming silence as their motto. Only when Artem stood up and walked into the kitchen to retrieve a glass of water did he internalize the dark silhouettes by the front door. 

As Artem poured himself a glass of water, his mind wandered to the topic of stereotypes. For example, he was pretty sure most Americans would imagine Artem would be sipping beer or vodka in the wake of the loss of his significant other. But instead, Artem much preferred water. He recalled the night he'd hit the legal age to drink, and gone to a bar only to disappointedly discover that beer tasted like piss water, and vodka was not much of an improvement. So, Artem was not your stereotypical Russian. The fact that he was gay might've already given this away, of course, but the fact that he despised the taste of alcoholic beverage only heightened the aspect of his not-the-typical-Russian personality. 

He took another sip of water, and his brain attempted to migrate to another topic, except there were no other topics, so instead he just zoned out. He just wanted Ravil back, and wasn't entirely sure if he'd be normal again until this request was fulfilled.