Chapter 91

Artem went back to HQ with Haywood, Eric, and Urvi, and they sat in the control center for the rest of the day (apart from their lunch break), tinkering away at getting the Department's servers back up and active. Artem caught Urvi glaring at him quite a few times with those fiery blue eyes. He tried his best to disregard it and keep working. 

He thought about Ravil. Now that Everett was dead, who would lead the siege on the blacksite? Would there even be a siege? What if there was a siege, but they found Ravil's cell empty, or...

Artem shut his eyes, attempting to block out those thoughts. If Urvi wouldn't carry out a siege, Artem would do what he could to make it happen himself. He wanted Ravil back, and knew for sure he'd do whatever was required to make sure that it happened. He was determined. 

Urvi checked her Blackberry, then spoke up, breaking the relative silence holding the room. "Hazmat crew's checked out Everett's house. Autopsy starts soon." 

Haywood, sitting in his cubicle, shook his head woefully. Eric sighed.

"Shame," Haywood said, his voice taking the form of a mere whisper. "It's a real shame."

Artem didn't know what to say or how to react, so he just kept working, relieved when silence seized the room once again. He knew that if he wept tonight, it would be because of Ravil's capture, not Everett's death.