Ch. 14 T-Minus 20 Minutes Till' Attached

Start from the beginning

"Ok. I guess I could try that. Thanks, Corey." Cowan smiled taking off her apron and walking to the dining table.

Half a day....no! I'm not attached. Stay un-attached Corey, don't break your's or her heart any more than it has to be. Un-attached.

"Row, do you like your food? You seem...antsy." Cowan questioned eating like she hadn't in days.

I bet she hasn't. That's no way for anyone to live, but especially not a 12 year old girl! You could practically see Cowan's ribs and she could pass for 9, she seems like a kid at heart even if she cooks and cleans like a grown up. She really is still a baby, she needs to be taken care of. UN-ATTACHED.

"I'm just excited to take you shopping! Also this is the first time the twins will be in a public place, we get to try the stroller!" Row squealed.

"Corey? Corey!" Cowan called even though I was spaced out.

"Corey?" Cowan tried again.

"Oh, sorry. Yes?" I answered.

"It's just....you haven't touch your food." Cowan pointed out.

"Oh, right. So...what school do you go to? When are you off summer vacation?" I asked starting on my omelette.

"I dropped out of school once I was supposed to move up to the sixth grade." Cowan said nonchalantly.

"Unbelievable! Doesn't anyone take care of you?" Row question just about finishing her plate.

"Not really. It's just that it would take more work to get me signed up and give me money for lunch and sports and stuff plus find me a ride, so I just don't go. I take free online courses at the library every Friday, I'm perfectly eligible to go to High School next year. I just won't--if I haven't been adopted that is." Cowan shrugged finishing her food and heading for a strawberry.

"Oh, your going whether you've been adopted or not. August comes your going to Olympic Heights High School one neighborhood over." Row announced.

"I don't know...kids can be mean to someone like me." Cowan sighed.

"Orphaned?" I questioned.

"Ugly." Cowan laughed.

"Your not ugly!" Row protested eating a kabob.

"I have mousy hair, ugly glasses, faded freckles, I'm short, and skinnier than a tooth pick." Cowan threw.

"You have gorgeous light brown hair, eye wear is a fix, your freckles are adorable, you're like 5'2 and again weight is a fix." I argued.

"I doubt the eye wear thing. I'm practically blind without these glasses and these glasses only."

"We buy you clear contacts to show off your pretty blue eyes-- another not ugly thing about you." Row solved.

"Speaking of which, the MeadowVille Square will be super packed by 10:00 am and I really don't feel like being swarmed especially not with the twins so let's go!" I urged finishing my food.

I checked the clock and saw it was already 9:13 which meant we had under an hours to shop. No big deal, only picking her up a proper wardrobe and some contacts. Cowan borrowed a jumper from Rowan that fit a little baggily but at least it fit. Rowan wore a sun dress and I just pulled on jeans with the white T-shirt I was wearing.

"Corey?" Cowan called when we jumped in the car.

"Yeah?" I responded.

"Why do you have a scar on your chest?" She asked quietly.

"Uh...how did you know that, Cee ?" Rowan asked turning to Cowan

"His shirt is see through in certain lights. Were you a soldier? Like my dad a-and my sister?" Cowan pried.