Chapter 14

"So, you're basically saying that the way you are now is your mother's fault?" Niall asks as we walk through the park.

"You make it sound bad," I whine then laugh a bit. "I'm just saying, she was always there to make sure I kept my head high and myself happy. She told me I didn't need any hand outs from anyone. She'd also support in almost everything, which was good to an extent. The whole boy of the night thing was actually strongly encouraged," I furrow my brows at my own words.

"She did?" Niall says sounding a bit shocked.

"It's not making sense to me anymore either," we both laugh uncomfortably. "She didn't want me to settle or be hurt and vulnerable."

"And you said she's a therapist?" He asks another question.

"You know what they say, sometimes, it's the therapist that's fucked up and needs help," I shrug. "You know, I've never opened up to anyone before. Well, except," I trail.

"Don't get yourself down about that," Niall says, taking a seat in the gazebo we ended up.

I take a seat next to him and slump over.

"I'm sure he'd want you to be happy," he smiles and places his hand on my back to comfort me. "Like you always say, nothing lasts forever. Including comas."

I peer over to him from my slumped position to see a smirk coming across his face. "I guess you're right," I smile back to him and sit up.

"So the whole 'nothing lasts forever' thing, who engraved that into your mind?"

"My parents," I nod. "But I suppose it was me as well. I genuinely believe that nothing lasts forever. Even now, my parents idea of a 'perfect marriage' is more than likely finding it's end."

 "Well, I'm sorry to hear that," he tries to comfort as he places his arm around my shoulder.

"It's been a long time coming, I suppose," I shrug again and frown.

"If you need any help with anything, I'm here for you," he smiles. "Don't forget that."

"I've just trusted you with everything I've grown up with, how could I forget you?"

"For someone who isn't a romantic, you can sound a bit sappy."

"Sappy?" I scoff as his joke.

"You heard me," he fires back. "What time do you need to get going? It's about 2:30."

"Shoot," I say standing up. "Like, now."

We continued on with our conversation even though I felt as if my words had run dry. Talking to Niall about growing up and how things were for me felt relaxing. It felt like a weight was lifted off my chest and in this moment, I was content. Maybe this was good. Maybe Niall and I are good.

+++

 The rest of the day went on like any other Sunday would. I lounged around in comfy clothes and hung out with Eleanor and Mary after neglecting them for the past few days. My mother called me that night to ask how things were because she hadn't heard from me. I told her to quit bitching about it since she was in town. We then made plans to get brunch on Tuesday, which was the last thing I wanted to do but I figured I should spend time with the woman who brought me life. I fell asleep early that night, about 9:30-ish.

I woke up late the next morning and missed my 9am class. When I went to crack the window open in my room, I found it was pouring outside which most likely meant I wouldn't have work today. I slid into a pair of gray sweatpants after taking a quick shower and a fitted sweatshirt. Lastly, I grabbed my rarely worn glasses then proceeding out of my room. I made my way downstairs to see Bethany sat in her chair by the window, flipping through some note cards.