Chapter • 46

❊46

It was just after the American Music Awards and everyone was still bustling about. There was a large backstage area where camera crews, press, and paparazzi were eager to see the celebrities.

I stood around awkwardly feeling a little out of place as I waited for Cameron to finish an interview. 

You would think you'd eventually get used to this kind of thing but it always felt surreal. I still felt like I didn't belong. I looked over to Cameron who shifted his head in my direction, beaming at me, followed by a wink, while he carried on with the interview. 

 I smiled back and stood there for a moment to admire him. He really was stunning. His suit was coloured a crisp navy blue paired with matching trousers, a white button down shirt, a black tie and black dress shoes. 

His hair was effortlessly quiffed to perfection and his teeth were gleaming behind his heart warming smile. My heart fluttered at the fact that he was all mine, completely one hundred percent mine.

I contemplated walking over to him before I spotted Sam, my ex-boyfriend, standing with two other guys whom I had recognized to be Nash and Nate. 

I sucked in a breath hoping Cameron wouldn't be much longer and took a few steps forward, wedging myself between a couple of people, hoping he wouldn't notice me. I glanced back at Sam whose eyes were scanning over the crowd casually before landing on me. 

Fuck. 

His mouth parted slightly. We hadn't seen or spoken to each other in months and our break-up hadn't necessarily ended on the greatest of terms to which I could only blame myself. 

My breath hitched in my throat as I watched him excuse himself from the the guys and head in my direction. 

I looked him up and down. 

Good god he looked good. 

He was wearing a red velvet suit jacket fit to perfection, a crisp white shirt underneath, black skinny jeans and white sneakers.

"Y/N!" he exclaimed once he was close enough to hear over the roar of our surroundings.

"Sam!" I beamed, surprising myself that I was actually happy to be seeing him. He wrapped me up in a hug and my heart ached as I inhaled his familiar scent. 

He was wearing a cologne I bought him when we had first started dating. He pulled away from the hug, holding me at arms length, as his eyes scanned over my body. 

I thanked the heavens that I was running into him at a place where I had to look my best.

"You look...stunning." he gasped.

I felt the heat rise to my cheeks as I laughed nervously. "Thanks. So do you." I meant it. I couldn't help but feel a sting of guilt for how attracted to him I was at that moment.

"How are you? I feel like it's been so long." his arms dropped down to his sides as his eyes shifted around looking at all the commotion before landing back on me.

"Yeah." I nodded. "It has. I've been good, just working you know. How about you? I've heard you're working on some new music in the studio." Sam nodded and smiled ear to ear, his left dimple showing, god how I loved that dimple. 

I loved how he lit up whenever he was talking about his music. So many people didn't realize how passionate about it he was.

"...Y/N?" Sam quirked an eyebrow at me, smiling sideways.

I had been so busy staring at him I hadn't even realized he was waiting for me to respond. I blinked a few times before laughing awkwardly. "Sorry." I blushed. "You were saying?"