Chapter 7

...A week later...

Family Barbecue Part 1.

*Anari's POV*

Today was the day of the new annual Berrien Family Barbecue. I was bringing drinks since my god father, Da'Vonte, told me his new fiancé was cooking a lot and his mom.

I just sat downstairs on the couch, dressed and ready to go.

Keenan was gone to get the drinks and Darrell was coming over so we could talk before this awkward family barbecue

Keenan was gone to get the drinks and Darrell was coming over so we could talk before this awkward family barbecue. I already knew something crazy was going to happen. The Berrien family are a family full of petty people. They say whatever is on their mind and dont care who's feelings they hurt.

I cleaned up a little around the house while I waited for Darrell to come. The house wasn't really dirty since it's just me and Keenan living here. I heard the door open as I vacuumed the living room.

"Hey Darrell" I said as he walked in. I knew he had a key since he bought the house. I turned off the vacuum and sat down on the couch.

"Hey So what you wanted to talk about?" he asked, sitting next to me.

"Keenan told me some things you said when I was in the coma. Basically you confessed your love to me."

"I did" he said nonchalantly. Is this dude crazy?

"Why would you say that? I'm obviously with Keenan and you are with Keisha. Y'all are married with three kids." I said turning to face him. I looked him in his eyes and seen nothing but seriousness.

"But I'm not happy. I haven't been since the accident. I didn't take my UCLA scholarship. I work at a bank. No where near what I wanted to do" he wanted to own like a boys and girls club type place but with a focus on sports and education for kids.

"What about Keisha?" I stressed.

"What about her?"

"If you aren't happy, then why are you still with Keisha? You just stringing her along to get hurt."

"Cause that's my kids mom and I knew that's what you probably wanted me to do so we got married. No big wedding just went to the courthouse and did it that way."

"Darrell you gone break her heart again. How many times do you have to break her heart until she just leaves for good? Huh? You can't honestly think that that is okay" I said

"Anari. How long have I known you?" he said ignoring everything I just said. I rolled my eyes sitting back on the couch.

"Since before we could talk" I mumbled folding my arms.

"Okay then you should already know I love you like a bestfriend, but I am also in love with you. I look at the kids and imagine if you were their mother. I go to work and think about what would life be like if I picked you over Keisha. I haven't slept with Keisha since the kids. You are all I think about. I just reminisce on the past with you." he took a breath and looked down. "When you were in the coma, it felt like part of me died. I wanted to lose hope and I wanted to give up on life, but I didn't. I just thought about when you woke up how you were gonna know about what I said. Like you heard me and knew it was me everytime I visited. I just knew we were gonna be together. I kept pushing the wedding date months and months back just in case you woke up and I would make sure I confessed my love to you over and over again." his voice was starting to get shaky. "man I don't know what it is. You drive me completely crazy inside. You make a nigga wanna just rip yo clothes off and fuck the shit out of you then sometimes you make me wanna just stay up late talking bout sappy shit and watch your favorite Disney movies all day long. I only thought about the good we had. The good memories. That's what kept me from not having an emotional breakdown." he looked at me and he had tears coming out his eyes. "I thought I lost you man. You just don't understand. I hate feeling like this knowing I'm with Keisha. I just can't help it" I got up from where I was sitting and hugged him tight.

"Well, I'm here right now. Isn't that something to be happy about?" I was trying not to cry myself. He just cried onto my chest since he was sitting down and I was standing up. "But Darrell, I'm with Keenan. I love him with all my heart and you are with Keisha, my almost sister in law"

"What do you mean almost?" he looked up at me.

"Keenan was gonna propose to me when I woke up but that's when I didn't have any memory of him" Darrell nodded. "But like I was saying... We could never be together and I want you to be happy. Life is too short to not be happy. I want you to be happy, but I don't you to be hung up on me. That isn't right"

"I'll only be happy with you tho Cierra. I love you so much"

"I know you love me , but-"

"Do you love me?" he cut me off.

"Yes but-"

"Okay then. What we waiting on?"

"We waiting on you to leave" Keenan said making me jump back from Darrell.

"What you mean bruh? I was asked to come here" Darrell's tears were definitely not there anymore.

"I mean what the fuck I said. She don't want you and I should tell my sister bout yo ass. You ain't finna break that girl heart not on my watch. So leave me and Anari house."

"Nigga I paid for this shit. It's me and Anari house. Our names on the papers. Next excuse." I just watched. I didn't know what to do. Well, I knew they wouldn't fight with me in this room. Time to cry. It's one thing about them. They hated seeing me cry with a passion.

"Guys! Both of you leave. I'll see y'all at the barbecue." I said walking to the front door with tears coming out of my eyes. Both of them gave me a look of compassion and left. Please help me.

It was 1:30. I had 30 minutes to get to my Papa D's house. I grabbed my phone and my beige Michael Kors wallet. I got in my new Hyundai Elentra and drove to the barbecue.

*Keisha's POV*

I sat with the kids on the couch ready to. I have to say I have some great sense of style and I just got Kendra and Olivia's shirts made.

"Mommy is Grandma Kam gone be there?" Kendra asked

"Mommy is Grandma Kam gone be there?" Kendra asked. I nodded my head. The kids love their auntie Danielle. They are older than her and call her TeeTee. It kills me. I looked at my baby Olivia. She was just playing with her skirt. She wasn't talking to her brother and sister cause they talk a lot.

"Where my daddy at?" Darnell asked.

"I don't know baby. That's who we waiting on. I was 10 minutes from driving us myself."

*Darrell's POV*

I went to my stress reliever condo. It was a condo on the other side of town from where I stay. Nobody knows about it except me, myself, and I. I just come here to smoke a lil, take my mind of things.

I couldn't go to this family barbecue without a lil something in my system from that talk with Anari.

I turned my phone back on after leaving my secret condo and seen 6 missed calls and 20 'where are you?!' texts from Keisha. I called back.

"Im at your dad house" she hung up. No hello or nothing. Shit.

-

There will be a part 2.

#teamdarrell
#teamkeenan