7

That weekend

I woke up silently, seeing that Lily and Alice – my room mates were still silently sleeping – I had a quick shower before getting dressed quickly and rushing downstairs, I spotted Remus sitting on the sofa and I rushed over with a big smile.
Ever since Dumbledore's promise I had opened up to the Marauders, I suddenly felt a lot less alone, though they still knew little about me, they had accepted me with open arms and Sirius was officially my best friend, we had spent one night talking constantly and when the night ended it was like we had been friends forever. I was close with James and Remus too, but it was different, Sirius was like my brother and the others were both extremely attractive, whereas, I was just... me.
I still had confidence issues, but I was laughing more than I ever had before, it was a strange feeling, but I felt happier than I ever had.

"Remus!" I laughed as he jumped, not having heard me descend the stairs.

He smiled brightly at me, "Hello Bells" He blushed a little bit, for an unknown reason. I jumped over the sofa, landing next to him, he chuckled at my antics but I ignored him, feeling remarkably good today.

"Where's Sirius? I ran out of cigarettes?" I complained and Remus sighed, I knew what was coming so I interrupted, "I know it's a bad habit, but it's a habit that I cant break, so suck it up."

He sighed before nodding at me, "He's still upstairs, you know which room right?" And I nodded before running up the boys stairs.

I knocked and heard a grumble so I opened it, I saw James on his bed playing with the golden snitch and Sirius was looking in the mirror, sorting his hair out. "Sirius, I've run out of cigarettes," I began and he laughed at me.

"There's a packet in my drawer, help yourself, I might join you." He said the last bit more to himself before nodding, and grabbing his packet and his lighter before bending down, I smirked before jumping on his back, and we made our way downstairs. "Morning Moony." Sirius called at Remus, who looked at us with a sigh, before reading his book again.

"Doesn't understand our unhealthy obsessions, does he darling Bella?" I said and both of us laughed, I heard Remus tell us to 'shut up' but we were already out the common room before I could react.

When we got to our spot, which was hidden behind a bunch of trees by the lake, Sirius put me down and handed me a cigarette, I lit it with my lighter, and he lit his with his lighter also, and we silently began to smoke. Neither of us spoke for a few moments, but Sirius suddenly looked at me, with a sad expression on his usually happy face.

"Are you happy Bells?" he asked, and I coughed at the sudden question.

I looked over at him, he was older than me by quite a bit, and in that moment, I could tell, he was utterly concerned, he acted more like my brother than my actual brother did. I sighed, not wanting to lie anymore, I took a drag slowly, when I let go I turned to look at him, "No Sirius, I don't think I ever have been." I said with complete truth. He didn't speak for a long while, we both just stared over the lake, whilst killing ourselves with smoke. I smiled at a random thought and said, "You know, I really want to meet a dragon." I laughed at my randomness, and I turned to face the amused Sirius.

"And why is that little one?" He was teasing, and I felt at complete ease, he wasn't going to make me uncomfortable, he was my best friend.

"Well, they're marvelous creatures, and just like me, their lungs are full of smoke." He laughed hard at that, even though it wasn't funny, we both stood chuckling. And then silence grew once again. It was a weird silence, full of emptiness and sadness, but it wasn't uncomfortable. "Thank you Sirius." I said, putting more emotion into those three words than I had ever shown him before.

"It was just a fag!" He laughed his bark-like laugh, and I rolled my eyes at his naivety.

"No, I mean for saving me, for making me feel less alone, I don't know, just thank you." I was flustered and he noticed, I didn't look at him, afraid to be mocked, but I felt his arms wrap around my overly skinny waist.

"Thank you, for being the fiery little blonde that I love like a sister." Was his response and I laughed, I laughed big and I grabbed his hand before rushing back to Hogwarts, where I planned on spending my day with the Marauders.