THIRTY

LACEY

   The next day around eight, I told my mom where I was going as she drank her iced tea. She approved, and I left with Jack.

   "Where are we going now?" I asked.

   "Somewhere familiar," he responded.

   I couldn't think of such a place that was familiar, or that I had been too often. After a ten minute drive, Jack had parked, and I let myself out.

   He took us to the outfield. All the lights were putting a big spotlight on the field. My mom used to take me here all the time just because of how quiet it was.

   "Why here?" I asked.

   "I thought we could talk, just relax, think about some things," he responded coolly.

   I followed him down the bleacher steps, and onto the field. The lights were bright, but it was too quiet to just leave because of it.

   I closed my eyes.

   "What are you thinking about?" He asked.

   "Whether or not you've been playing me this whole break," I confessed honestly.

   "Why would I play you?"

   "The real question is, why wouldn't you?" I told him, "you have a girlfriend, and I bet you haven't seen her at least once this whole break either. Here you are hanging out with me this whole break, but why? Why would you hang out with me, make me think you like me? Do little things that make it seem like we're dating? Let me stay at your house? Sure, any friend would do that, but everything else is pointing somewhere else. I don't wanna be played, Jack!"

   "Lacey, I-I'm not playing you."

   I got close to him, "you stuttered. Look me in the eyes, and say it."

   "I'd rather just do this," he said.

   "What-"

   He pulled me in closer, and connected our lips. Surprisingly I kissed him back, because I enjoyed it. i hated that I enjoyed it, because I knew it was wrong. It felt too good to be true, but it was real. I didn't want to pinch myself to prove it though.

   My hands wove around his neck, my right hand going through his hair often. His hands gripped my waist gently, pulling me closer every now and then.

   I've never loved and hated something so much in my life. The feeling was indescribable, my only thought being I wanted more of it.

( )

chapter thirty: may 2, 2016
edited: june 19, 2017