SIX

LACEY

The next day I stay in bed. My head hurts, and I'm too lazy to start my day. Come to think of it, I don't even want to start my day, nor throw the comforter off me.

My door opens slowly, and Jacks head peeks in. What do I say to him? Besides that, how did he even get in my house? "Sorry I ran away from my problems, and maybe you and your car, too?"

He opens the door wider, and I can see his shoes are off, revealing his van socks. Is he planning on staying here?

"Jack, I-"

I was cut off by a shake of a brown paper bag Jack was holding up. He grinned slyly as if I were to die for what was in that bag.

I try and put the comforter over my head, so he'll leave me alone, but Jack pulls it back, and sits on the edge of my bed.

"Ah, ah, ah, I've brought scones," he announces with a stern look.

"But, last night-"

"We don't need to talk about last night if you don't want to," he said, "when your ready, ill listen."

I give him a small smile, and sit up in my bed. He climbs more onto the bed, so he can sit in front of me. I put my legs into a cross cross position, and Jack opened the bag that's labeled Paradise Bakery.

He takes out two paper plates, and hands me one.

"Now I didn't know what you liked, so I just guessed," Jack says, "I picked out dark chocolate, banana nut, cherry, and pumpkin spice."

"I thought pumpkin spice was seasonal?"

"Do you want it or not?"

"Hand it over, Gilinsky."

He puts the pumpkin spice scone on my plate, and I take a bite. The amount of spice put into this is just right, and the scone's bread itself is baked to perfection.

I moan in delight, and there is Jack staring at me as I eat. Every girls dream.

Hint the sarcasm?

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" I ask.

He snaps out of his daze, and chooses a scone I can't decipher of the flavor. When he takes a bite, chocolate oozes out, so it's clear he picked the dark chocolate one.

My face shows a blank stare at him as he eats it. now I wonder how he feels when people watch him eat.

"What?" He asked.

"Sorry to say this, but I hate chocolate," I inform him.

He mouth gapes open, while his eyes look like there going to jump out of its sockets. Is it that bad I hate chocolate? We stare at each for awhile, and Jack can't seem to wipe the surprised look on his face until what seems like five minutes later.

"You hate chocolate?!"

"Yeah, I do, is that so bad?"

He nods quickly, and I take another bite of my scone.

"Do enlighten me on the positive things about chocolate," I demand.

"Number one: it's really good with s'mores, number two, I heard it produces an increase with brain activity," he says and continues, "number three, when you eat chocolate...it's like...kissing someone."

The thought of kissing someone makes me think of Jack. How his lips are just right there, and if I had the courage I could just lean in, and—

That would be cheating; Jack would be cheating. He would either have a positive or negative reaction, to be honest I didn't want to see either of them.

"Really?" I ask in a bewildered tone.

He nods, and his eyes flicker from my lips to my eyes. Then I wonder if Jack ever thinks about kissing me. Did he have any fantasies about kissing me or holding hands with me?

I look away from his face entirely, and eat more of my scone, so I don't waste it. Then I can't help but want to cry for some reason, because I don't seem like I'm controlling my life easily. No, life isn't supposed to be easy, but god dammit, why not?

Why can't I have the chance to cry whenever I want without people asking what's wrong? Why can't my mom pull her shit together without being a prostitute? Why can't Madison move to spain? All these thoughts are making me dizzy, so I set my plate down, get out of my bed, and walk to my bathroom. Jack calls my name, but all I can do is hold my head to keep myself from falling, and ignore him.

( )

chapter six: august 23, 2015
edited: june 16, 2017