SEVENTEEN

LACEY

I was taken aback. At the time there was over a million reasons Jack could've gone to a doctors appointment. I never guessed he could be bipolar.

"You- you're bipolar?" I repeated slowly.

A flash of fear ran across Jacks face, "yeah."

"Oh."

"I know it sounds bad, but I would never hurt you intentionally," Jack insisted.

"I know, I just, I-I don't know what to say," I admitted.

What was I supposed to say or think or react? Was I supposed to give him a smile, and a pat on the back? I didn't want to be judgmental, instead I tried putting myself in his place to try and see what he would be feeling right now.

"You don't know?" Jack asked.

I slowly lifted my shoulders into a shrug, "I-I didn't know."

"I didn't either until one of the guys on the basketball team got mad, and asked if I was bipolar," he explained merely.

I nodded, and rested my hand over his, "I'm sorry."

I took my hand off his starting to feel uncomfortable, "but, I don't think it's wise if you're around me."

"At e you afraid of me?" He asked, hurt detected in his voice.

"No, I just don't- I have to go," I said quickly, standing up.

He stood up with me, and took my hand, "Lacey, you know me, I won't ever hurt you."

"I don't know that," I simply reply, and take my hand gently away from his before jogging down the steps of the rows of the chairs.

I left the Outfield, walking out to the parking lot where I searched for my car by the curb. When I walked over to my car, a tow truck was pulling it out from the curb, while a man wearing a neon vest with orange trim was overlooking the situation.

"Hey! Hey, that's my car!" I shout, hurrying over to him.

"I'm sorry, but you can't park here, sometime during the event, an announcement was made that you can't park along the curb, it's considered disrespect," the worker situated.

Just then noticed no other cars along the curb except my own, but I must have been distracted for a few minutes while talking to Jack.

"I didn't know, can't I have a warning?" I pleaded.

"I'm afraid not," he replied.

"Can you at least let me grab my bag, you ass?" I criticized, and he started walking away.

I quickly unlocked my car, and grabbed my bag. I slammed the car door in disapproval, and locked my car, shooting the worker and the tow truck driver death glares. How was I supposed to get home? Worker Randy was climbing into the only passenger seat other than the drivers in the tow truck.

I watched as the tow truck rumbled out of the parking lot, and drove away down the main road.

I huffed through the silence, and a set of keys jingled. I spun around, finding Jack standing there, his car keys swinging around his index finger like he had done when we hung out.

"Need a ride?" He questioned.

( )

chapter seventeen: december 15, 2015
edited: june 18, 2017