NINETEEN

LACEY

I don't complain about our destination as my head lays against the window, watching everything in a blur. When am I supposed to come home? How am I supposed to talk to Jack?

After a few minutes of unanswered questions floating around in my head, I realize Jacks car pulls into a very nice looking house.

I step out of the car, and follow him to the front door where he opens it and lets me in. Open space is everywhere with huge ceilings, beams, and a wide entryway to the living room with the kitchen connected. I can't help but look around with my mouth open.

"How do you-?"

"Afford all this?" Jack finishes for me, "my parents are both lawyers."

"Oh," I reply back.

I never thought to actually get to know Jack in the midst of spring break.

"Jack, I can't stay here."

"No need to pay us back or anything for your stay, it's fine."

"No, that's not what I mean. I can't stay here, it's just you and I, I'm not very comfortable," I release my inner thoughts and his expression changes.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but from your tone of voice your house didn't sound like it was a safe place to be at," said Jack.

I look away from him and don't reply. I can't disagree with him, and although being bipolar isn't all that bad when I think about it, I just can't stop thinking about that time I came over here, especially when i see jack right in front of me.

"Just trust me, please."

I nod slowly, and he grabs my hand, and takes me to a guest bedroom I assume, and makes sure everything looks tidy.

It's only 8:00 pm.

"Where's your parents?" I question.

"They have late shifts, or 24/7 shifts I'll say. Their office is practically their second home," Jack explains throughly.

What do you wanna do?" I ask soon after.

"I don't know, you are the guest," he shoots back with a smile.

"Be quiet," I shove him playfully.

"Actually, I have an idea, c'mon," Jack says, and grabs my hand once more out of the room.

He takes me to his car, and opens his door, yet still begins to stand there.

"It's a special place."

"Do you take all the girls that come to your house wherever you're special place is?" I ask.

"No, we usually just-"

"Don't say it," I demand.

"Play board games, all the girls love 'sorry sliders,'" Jack confesses, sliding into the leather seating.

I stare longingly at where he used to stand by the door, and wonder if this is a good idea. I'll never know if sorry sliders was any good, because I get in the car as well, probably not even close to being prepared for what this "special place" is.

( )

chapter nineteen: january 1, 2016
edited: june 18, 2017