TWENTY NINE

LACEY

   "I think I should go home, Jack," I said as we watched tv.

   "What about your mom?" He asked.

   "I've gotta come home sometime. I can't stay here forever, plus we have school on wednesday," I reminded him.

   He sighed, and covered his face with his hands, which were way bigger than mine might I add.

   "Okay, when should I drive you home?" He demanded.

   "Are you mad?" I questioned.

   "No, it's just, it's nice having company, and you're leaving," he said.

   "We're still hanging out tomorrow, it's okay."

   I stood up, and walked to the guest bedroom to grab my backpack, and my phone.

   Jack was waiting at the door, and I followed him outside, and into his car. He turned up the radio, so no conversation would arise, and I felt bad, but couldn't Madison come over to make him feel better?

_____

   Once we got to my house, I saw my mom's car in the driveway, yet Jack walked me to my door.

   He hugged me, and I hugged him back, because in that week and a half we became closer. He wanted me to stay, because he wanted company, but if he has Madison, I still couldn't figure out what he's doing with me.

   "I'll see you at school, J," I said halfheartedly.

   I opened the screen door, and then the normal door, and walked inside, closing them behind me.

   My mom stopped in front of the hallway, and saw me. She had some sort of drink in her hand.

   "Lacey, where have you been?" She demanded.

   "At a friends house, I swear," I answered.

   "Is that so?" She demanded again.

   "Yes."

   She walked down the hallway, and stood in front of me before engulfing me in a hug. I was surprised at first, but then I returned the favor. She pulled back, "this is iced tea. I broke up with blake, because I love you. I figured out you wouldn't come home if he was here."

   "But if you're happy with him-"

   "Reconnecting with you has better value. I haven't been very good at my job, but I want you to know I'm here now," she enlighted me.

   I pulled her in for another hug, and let silent tears fall. I didn't think she cared that much about me to dump a rich guy. I bit my lip, and thought about it. If Jack cared that much, would he dump Madison?

   No.

( )

chapter twenty nine: march 22, 2017
edited: june 19, 2017