THREE

LACEY

   After what felt like hours, I felt someone pick me up. It was Jack. I must've fallen asleep on his shoulder. His shoulder had felt like a good pillow at the time.

   I could hear the car start, and then start moving on the road. I kept my eyes closed, but my head shifted from the window back to his shoulder.

   He stiffened, and I silently smiled to myself. Then I felt his arm come around me. That's when I finally started sleeping for real.

***

   When I woke up, I yawned, and found myself in my own bed. Jack must've carried me inside. How nice of him, I thought.

   I flipped the covers off me, and noticed I was in the same clothes, but without my jacket.

   I stripped off my clothes, and stepped into the shower. When I was done, I put on black jeans with rips in the knees, a white tee, and a blue sweatshirt over it.

   I walked into my kitchen, and found a post it note on the fridge. It read:

   hey dear, ive gone on a business trip to florida for a week, love you, mom

   She wasn't on a business trip, I knew my mom. She was with a wealthy guy on vacation, no doubt. My mom was a gold digger, and I've only talked to her about it once, but I'd know what she'd say every time after that.

   "Honey it pays the bills and gives you food, so don't worry about it."

   I never asked after that one time, because she's right. It does pay the bills and it does feed me, but it's still wrong.

   I drank some OJ, and ate a bagel with strawberry cream cheese. One of my normal breakfasts on a sunday.

   Then my phone beeped, signaling a new text message. I unlocked my phone to check it.

   new message from: unknown
   ready for today?

   It had to be jack. I must've forgotten to add him after his call. I quickly made his contact, and added it to my list. Then I responded, so I wouldn't leave him hanging.

   l: i guess :)

   j: great

   I grinned, and then put away the OJ carton, strawberry cream cheese container, and the bagel bag back in the fridge.

   I sighed, not knowing what to do now. I decided to go check my mail.

   I grabbed my batman keychain that had my mail key connected, and skipped outside. When I got to the mailbox, I inserted the key, and opened the little door. Yes, we had our own mailbox, I liked it better that way.

   There were only two long white envelopes, (probably bills), and one big sized orange envelope. Was that what i thought it was?

   I grabbed my mail, closed the mailbox, and changed the red arrow to point downward. I ran back inside the house, and tossed the two white envelopes on the counter.

   I gently ripped open the orange envelope, and inside contained a lot of papers, but the one on top was the one I took out.

   I skipped the address information, and started to read the actual letter:

   Dear Lacey,
   Congratulations! On behalf of the faculty and staff of Columbia University, it is with great pleasure that I inform you of your admission to Columbia as a member of the class of 2016, in our 2015 Fall semester. You were selected from an extraordinary accomplished and academically talented group of applicants who applied under the early decision plan. You and your classmates are truly outstanding in your achievements, the breadth of your talents, interests, and potential.

   I kept reading until the end where the Dean of Admission at Columbia University signed and typed her name. I squealed in delight of my acceptance. what caught my eye was the note at the end of the letter.

   It said:

   As the Dean of Admission, Columbia University offers you a full ride scholarship for your excellent academic records and achievements. Columbia university looks forward to having you.

   It tried to breath after reading the two sentences, but it was too hard. I was too surprised about the news.

   With the letter in hand, I ran around the house screaming random things. The neighbors already knew I was crazy, they could keep thinking it.

   I burst out of my house, and crashed onto my knees on my porch. Throwing my hands up, I yelled joyfully, "Columbia University, watch out for Lacey Anderson!"

   With that said, I drew in a breath, and entered my house again. I examined the other papers that where filled with information about the college, dorm room numbers, classes, announcements, events, sorority groups, and where to go to get my key to the room I'll be sharing with two other girls.

This was probably one of the best days in my life, plus Jack was coming over later; life was good.

( )

chapter three: august 19, 2015
edited: june 15, 2017

an: that was long lol that's just to make up for not updating in three days or more idk but sorry I just finished my book: "breakdown" a j.g. fanfic. I might write a sequel, I'll THINK about it lol.

happy updating ❤️☺️