NINE

LACEY

   Before Jack came around six pm, he told me to dress causal, but date wise causally. I agreed, and we haven't spoke or texted since.

    All I needed was light blue denim shorts, and a striped off the shoulder top, and I was ready to go.

   I planned on ordering pizza after Jack took me home, and even after my thoughts from yesterday, I would invite him to eat with me anyway. I shouldn't let my paranoia get in the way of having Jack as my friend.

   I walked into my kitchen, and grabbed a water bottle, then I leaned against the island, with my elbows resting on it as well. I turned on my phone: 6:02pm.

   I wondered what was taking Jack so long. He was usually early, and my house wasn't that far from his neighborhood.

   I tapped my nails on the countertop, and waited patiently, (at least i tried to be patient). I let out a sigh, and heard the light sound of footsteps.

   "Jack?" I said out loud.

   A hand covered my eyes, "what are you and Jack doing?"

   The hand dropped, and I spun around to face the other half of the Jacks: Jack Johnson. I let out a relieving breath of air, and shoved his shoulder playfully. I've never really talked to Jack Johnson, because we didn't have a lot in common, but I've known him to be nice.

   "I don't really know, but don't be getting ideas," I said, and he raised his eyebrows, "what are you doing here?"

   "Jack said he'd be late, so he sent me here," he explained.

   "Is it Madison?" I asked him.

   "Why don't you just tell him you like him, Lacey?" Jack suggested, grinning.

   "You don't know who I like," I snapped.

   "Don't get fussy."

   It had to be Madison. Has she seen me hanging out with Jack, or is she suspicious of all the times Jack might've gave her a lame deadbeat lie of an excuse of where he was because he was with me? I didn't want this friendship to end badly, or really come to an end in fact, but here's Johnson thinking he knows everything like if I like Jack. How would he know?

   "Besides, it's obvious," Jack added.

   My eyes widened, "so you think Madison knows?"

   "Who cares what she thinks or what she knows, lacey, if you like him, just tell him," Jack insisted.

   "Like who?" a new voice said, as Jack came into the kitchen with questioning eyes.

   "No one," Jack and I said at the same time.

   Jack gave us curious stares as if he demanded we tell him, but I wasn't giving in, and neither was Johnson. He had nothing on me.

   "Okay.." Jack slowly said in defeat, "Johnson's coming with us if you don't mind."

   I shook my head, saying silently that I didn't mind. Jack grinned, and waved us to come with him. I shoved my phone in my back pocket, and followed Jack along with Johnson

   We filed into his car, Jack and Johnson in the front, and me in the back. Jack reversed, pulled out, and drove down my street. He drove for a good twenty minutes until he parked into a parking spot on the other side of downtown I've never been in.

   In e we got out, Johnson and I followed Jack into a tattoo parlor. Did he think I was getting a tattoo?

   "You're getting a tattoo," Jack smiles slyly.

   The other jack looks at me with a quizzical look that said: did you agree with this?

   "A tattoo? Hell no," I snapped, furiously.

   "Hey, you cursed...about time," Jack smirked, jokingly.

   "But, seriously, you don't have any," I argued, "why am I getting one?"

   "One, you don't know what i have," he started, "and two, its my job to make your spring break interesting and exciting."

   He spread out his arms, gesturing to our surroundings, and I had a feeling I was not getting out of this one.

   I had imagined a couple things for my first tattoo, but as my first, I wanted it to be meaningful. I walked over to the black leather couch, sat down, and flipped open one of the tattoo books, looking at different ones I could have.

   Then it hit me, and I looked at both of the Jacks. What I wanted I knew it was for sure. I closed the book, and stood up.

   "I know what I want," I announced to them.

   "What is that?" Jack asked, glancing at Johnson.

   "I can't tell you, but it's going to be good," I replied, just as a girl with a sleeve of tattoos on her arm, and one on the side of her neck strolled in. I smiled at her, and she made a waving gesture that meant I should follow her, so I did.

   We entered a room with a black leather chair. Alongside it, another chair with a cotton cushion, and a table full of different color ink next to both of them.

   "What are you thinking about getting?" she asked.

   "Well..." I trailed off.

( )

chapter nine: september 24, 2015
edited: june 16, 2017