EIGHTEEN

LACEY

   The radio plays as background noise as Jacks car speeds down the road, and into my neighborhood. Once he comes along by my house I notice the car in my driveway, and I make Jack park two houses down along the curb.

   "Something wrong?" Jack asked as I climbed out.

   "No, maybe I need the exercise," I answered.

   "No, you don't, you're perfect," he compliments, and I try hard let it go.

   I shut the car door, and walk to my houses window, and peer through. There my mother is smoking on the couch, a man sitting by her side. She says something to the man, and I attempt to swallow the lump in my throat.

   I step away from the window, and begin to exit down my driveway beside the unknown car when Jack appears to be walking over. I turn away.

   "Are you going inside?" He asked, and looked at the car, "who's home?"

   "Nobody, you can go now," I reply solemnly.

   "You know I care about you, right? Is your mom home...your dad?" He shot back.

   "It's my mom, and her new boyfriend or whatever."

   I didn't even know my mom would be coming back, much less with her boyfriend when he's probably got some rich kingdom in Florida where my mom vacationed off to.

   "And you don't wanna be in there right now, do you?" He asked gently.

   My heart is becoming empty at the thought of my mom and her boyfriend, just sitting in the couch. I wonder if she's even thought about me while she laughs away at his words.

   My voice cracks a little, and I swore I might've cried if I wasn't staring intensely at the sidewalk, "no."

   He takes my hand, leads me back to his car, and opens the door for me. He gets in on his own side, and starts to drive away when we're buckled up.

   "Where are we going?" I demanded in a soft tone.

   "My place."

( )

chapter eighteen: december 16, 2015
edited: june 18, 2017