FIVE

LACEY

We walked for another five minutes until Jack stopped in front of an iron fence. He took his hands out of his pockets, and spread them wide, gesturing to our surroundings. Past the iron fence was the ocean, and beyond it was a ferry sailing straight towards the Statue of Liberty.

My mouth dropped in awe. Sure, I live in New York, but I never thought to see all the tourist places. My hands fell out of my pockets, and gripped onto the iron fence. Jacks eyes flickered onto my face, and I looked back at him.

"What?" I ask, obliviously.

"Your face just lit up, it's cute," he said, simply.

I almost blush, and look back at the statue of liberty. Jack laughs, and takes my hand leading me down a couple flights of stairs. When we get to the bottom, we get in a short line for a ticket system.

"We're going on the ferry, and I'm paying" Jack announces proudly.

"Good, cause I didn't bring any money," I say, "I'll pay you back."

"No need, dear Lacey, no need."

I groan in disbelief, and the line moves. We find ourselves in second place as the next person walks forward. When it's our turn, Jack hands the lady in a work uniform a ten dollar bill.

She lets us pass, and we move forward. Jack still has his hand in mine, so I shake it off. His hand isnt mine to hold. He gives me a weird look, but then shrugs and we walk onto the waiting ferry.

Once everyone has got on, a gate closes, and a man steps up onto a podium with a microphone.

"Hello, folks, my name is Gerald, and I will be giving you a factual tour of the Statue of Liberty," the man announces.

The ferry is pushed off by the lady on the uniform, and we set off. I listen in, because this way is definitely better than social studies or world history.

"The statue of liberty is about 305 feet and 1 inch tall; the crown itself is 9 feet tall," he informs the crowd.

I find this half fascinating and half boring, so I just keep looking at the ocean and the view around me, including Jack.

He continues, "the statue of liberty weighs 27,000 tons and 57 million pounds."

The man states more facts, while the ferry gets closer and closer. Then I smile wide, and finally the ferry stops by a dock.

The man steps down from the podium, unlocks the gate, letting everyone off the ferry. Jack and I are last, and drift into the crowd as we walk. We stroll inside the Statue of Liberty with the tour guide, and climb the steps. It took forever, (from the people going back down), but we made it.

We look over the crown, and see all of New York, at least the part available to us

I realize my eyes have been wide for a long time, and that Jack has been staring at me, and that even though I was the one suggesting he should show me how my spring break should be, I can only feel how bad our little journeys are going to go.

Jack would push it away, but these thoughts have already clouded my mood, because Jack speaks up.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing, just thinking," I said.

"You don't have to go to college, Lacey," he says.

Thankful he thought it was about that instead, I nod. We watch the view outside the crown some more, and then walk back down the stairs for a good twenty minutes or so.

The ferry, plus the walk to the subway takes half an hour. Once we get back to Jacks car, he takes me home. I try not to look like my cat just died, but it's useless, so I just out the window, so Jack can't see.

He pulls into my driveway, and I open the car door on my side. Jack grabs my wrist though, and I look at him from behind my shoulder.

"What's up?" i ask, avoiding the way I've been quiet the whole ride.

"You seem down, and I don't think it's college," he said.

I ignored his question, and let him release my wrist, thinking I'll answer, but I don't. I jump out of the car, and close the door. Running into my house, I lock the door, and don't hear any footsteps.

I stay leaned against the door, and slide down onto the small space of tile I have in front of the front door.

I shouldn't think about this too much, but Jack and I are just hanging out. Nothing more, nothing less, so I shouldn't worry, or become this distressed about it. I can't help it though, it's taken over my mind tonight.

( )

chapter five: august 19, 2015
edited: june 15, 2017