FOUR

LACEY

   When my excitement died down finally, I had started watching awkward. on mtv. They were reruns, but I could watch them any day.

   The front door opened, and in came Jack like he owned the place.

   "Let's go, cheerio!" He shouted, slinging his keys around on his ring finger.

   I gave him a weird look while laughing a little, and then followed him to his car.

   He pulled out of my driveway, and kept his eyes on the road. Occasionally, he would tap his fingers to the radio music on the steering wheel, and I found it cute.

   He parked on the side of the road by Central Park, and once we got out, he locked the car. He led me away from Central Park and into the busy streets of New York. We quickly passed by the slower paced people, and while Jack kept a quick pace, I struggled to catch up.

   While flinging his keys around his finger still (and avoiding smacking people) he jogged down a flight of stairs.

   I followed hesitantly, and found the underground subway station. A subway raced down the tracks, and stopped abruptly. Jack, and a bunch of other people, and I boarded the subway, all of us cramming in together.

   I held onto the pole that stuck through the ceiling and the bottom of the subway. I was worried about my health touching these poles, but then Jack would say I'm worrying too much. Where was he even taking me?

   "Jack?" I asked, curiously.

   "Yes, dear Lacey?" He replied.

   "Where are we going?"

   "You'll see. It's a surprise," he answered.

   "Just tell me," I whined childishly.

   He didn't respond, only giving me a devious smile. I've only ever been on a subway six times in my whole entire life, and I've used them to go to work with my parents when I was little, or go get coffee on special occasion.

   I couldn't go to go to work with my parents anymore. One, divorcement, and two, my mom doesn't come home often.

   The subway let a few people off on every stop, but Jack stayed put, his hand stayed glued on the pole like mine.

   At the sixth or seventh stop, Jack exited the subway, and I trailed behind, still oblivious to where we were going. We walked up a different set of stairs again. He shoved his hands in his pockets, and we walked side by side.

   "So college?" He started.

   "What?"

   He must've seen my college envelope. I wondered if he applied to any colleges.

   "I know what a big orange envelope means," Jack informed me.

   I roll my eyes at his reply, and don't say anything back. What do I say? I'm excited to go to college? I worked for that, and I was excited to have got in st all, but I never thought about if I actually wanted to go.

   "It's been a goal of mine," I finally say.

   "Do you ever think about not going to college?" He asked.

   I shake my head, "my dad divorced my mom, and my mom is a disappointment, she doesn't even know I got into Columbia. The thing is I got in without anyone's help, I did it all on my own, and...I don't know..." I confessed.

   "I understand almost, it's like you worked hard for it, so it's like you need to go, but on the other hand you don't really want to..." he trails off.

   I sigh, and nod. How did Jack get it? He shouldn't have to worry about getting into college. He should be getting a full scholarship for basketball. At this moment I'm confused why I'm with him, when he could be with Madison.

   "We're almost there," Jack told me.

   I nod silently, and we keep walking. It feels like hours and hours have passed since we've gotten off the subway and started walking. I stay quiet though, and keep following Jack.

( )

chapter four: august 19, 2017
edited: june 15, 2017