TWENTY THREE

LACEY

   Once I put on my old clothes from yesterday, I let Jack drive back to my neighborhood, and park on the street. There was no car in the driveway of my house.

   I opened the front door slowly, and walked into the kitchen. A sticky note stuck on the fridge caught my attention. Just like always, my mother left notes instead of actually talking to me.

   Left for breakfast a few towns over, I'll see you around 10:00am to introduce Blake.

   I glanced over at the clock, 9:40am.

   Blake? That was probably the man she had replaced dad with. I was disappointed, why was she back? Didn't she have some yacht to party on?

   I entered my room, and grabbed an empty backpack from last year. I packed some of everything, including bathroom essentials, and then zipped it up.

   I ran out the door, and jumped into Jacks car, as a familiar car came driving down the street.

   "Go, go, go!" I exclaimed, and Jack slammed on the brakes.

______

   Jack pulled into his driveway, and I sat back, and sighed, closing my eyes.

   "What happened?" Jack asked.

   I opened my eyes, and looked at him, "that car was my mom's."

   "Your mom?" Jack questioned.

   "Yeah, she left during the beginning of spring break," I said, looking out the window, my elbow resting against it, while my fist was pressed into my cheek.

   "Wow, Lacey, I'm sorry."

   "Yeah, and now she's back with her boyfriend, Bryce, or whatever his name is, and she wants me to meet him," I explained, "hell no."

   Jack stepped out of the car, and walked around to open my door. He pulled me out, and hugged me. As much as I didn't want to hug back, I did it anyways.

   "You're hugging me, why?" I demanded softly.

   "Who else is going to do it?" He replied simply.

   As time drifted on, he began to walk, but I had not wanted to let go; no one had ever given me a real hug before. I brought up my legs around his waist, and he carried me inside, as I began to lay my head on his shoulder, feeling tired already.

( )

chapter twenty three: january 26, 2016
edited: june 19, 2017