TWELVE

LACEY

   After Madison leaves, I'm shocked. Why didn't she be her usual ignorant self and waltz into my house to look for Jack without asking? Whose to say she didn't, it only made sense, but after thinking about it, maybe she believed me when I said he wasn't here and at a doctors appointment.

   Which leads me to my next question, and another set of thoughts. Why was Jack at a doctors appointment? It might not be my business to ask, but I'm all the more curious as Johnson and Madison. Unless one of them knows, and just won't spill; or maybe both of them know. They're both close to Jack, but I thought I was close to him as well. Close enough where we can share each other's problems? I don't really see myself telling him much either from my side, so i guess not.

____

   I wake up uneasily the next morning. Still no word from Jack, but he has to come pick up his car soon, so it's only a matter of time.

   I change into some more suitable clothes that I would wear to school, and trudge down the hall to grab breakfast: a granola bar, and a cup of orange juice.

   Once I've eaten the granola bar, and drank down the orange juice, I stay put at the island in the kitchen, fiddling with my fingers. I sigh, and realize that jack won't be coming so early, even if it were the chance to see me.

____

   By one in the afternoon, there's no sign of Jack, and I'm not worried or upset. He probably has more important things to do than pick up his car. He could just a hitch a ride from one of his friends, or his girlfriend, Madison.

   I scoot off my bed, and walk over to the curtains in my room that face the front of the house. I pull them open a little bit to make sure no one can see me, and peer around the street and the yard.

   One thing is for sure, Jack won't be coming anytime soon for his car, because he already retrieved it all the while ignoring me in the process.

( )

chapter twelve: november 3, 2015
edited: june 18, 2017